Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   2003 Disco Leaking oil (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/2003-disco-leaking-oil-19134/)

Earl Callow 01-22-2009 07:45 AM

2003 Disco Leaking oil

Goodday to everbody. My Disco just started to leakoil , Just enough that I can seeit on the floor of the garage.It has 61,000 mileson it. Any ideas on what might be the cause ?
Thank you

Earl

unimoged 01-22-2009 08:17 AM

RE: 2003 Disco Leaking oil

The nice thing about Discos, is that they are high enough that you can lay on your back and slide under them with good flash light and inspect where the oil is coming from.

It could be as simple as the oil filter or the oil plug washer.

It also could be caused by a clogged PCV system due to sludge that is not evacuating the crank case, which may cause your front and rear seals to leak.

There are many more causes, so slide yourself under it and find out where the oil is coming from.

Take a picture or two and post them, that will help the experts on this forum diagnose the cause.

Disco Mike 01-22-2009 08:59 AM

Earl, you need to work with us a little, give us some clues, type/color of fluid, general location of the drip.

unimoged 01-22-2009 09:46 AM

Disco Mike is absolutely right about knowing the type of fluid, amount, location on the floor, color, etc.

Earl, I jumped to the conclusion that it was "engine oil" based on your statement concerning an oil leak, which is not correct, as it could be something else.

Thanks Mike for pointing out the need for more specifics.

Earl Callow 01-22-2009 10:13 AM

It is oil , drips seem to becomingfromboth the front andrear of the engine , Iam atwork right now will try tolook atit at lunchas bestas I can withoutcrawling underituntil I get home .
This just startedyesterday.

Earl Callow 01-22-2009 11:02 AM

just went out and looked at the engine,drivers sidevalve cover seems to show some oil all along thebottom, alsothehose that goes intothe topof the valve cover towards the front shows some Red looking build uparound it , I just got thisa few weeks ago and dont know if this wasalready on it or not , any help would be greatly appreciated

Disco Mike 01-22-2009 11:20 AM

So, you have a coolant leak at the t/body pre-heater, how mechanical are you.
As for the v/c gasket, the bolts need to be tightened just a little over hand tight, they vibrate loos all the time.
After tightening the v/c bolts, consider going to a self service car was and power scrub your engine with high pressure rinse only, it will clean right up.

Earl Callow 01-22-2009 11:29 AM

Mike , Iam prettygoodwrench turner , v/c gasket not aproblem , I can tackle that , coolent leak , is that something Ican fix?

Earl Callow 01-23-2009 07:15 AM

Crawled under it last night , oil is comingfrom the fromcrankshaft seal , looks to be coing out pretty good.Can this be fixed without pulling the engine ?
Thank you

Earl Callow 01-24-2009 03:35 PM

I took it to my local mechanic, he looked at it and said the oil sending unitwas bad, he has one on order,apparently the cold weather -20 caused it to crack , can that happen? he also is replacing the valve cover gaskets . stilltrying to figuire out the coolant leak.