Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   2003 Land Rover Discovery Dies after a while It would start again (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/2003-land-rover-discovery-dies-after-while-would-start-again-37248/)

lowapr 01-10-2011 06:50 PM

2003 Land Rover Discovery Dies after a while It would start again

Can someone please help me?
I have a 2003 Land Rover Discovery and Here is my problem.
My wife went to the store and the Vehicle would not start, I went to store and the car was parked there for about 30 minutes and all I did was get in the car turn the key, and the the car started, so I drove the car for about 2.5 miles and as I was driving the Service Engine Soon light came on and the car made a crank type noise and the oil and the battery light came on and it died on me, so I let the car rolled and put the transmission in Newtral and the car came back on, so I put the car back on drive and I was able to drive about a .5 of mile and the car died, so I waited about 30 mines again, and after trying to restart the car every other 10 minutes, the vehicle started again, so I drove for about 2.0 miles and it repeated the same symptoms, and it died on me again, two more times before I got home, now She sits in my garage and it won't start again. what is the problem here? can someone help. Thank you so very much.

handsome rob 01-10-2011 08:44 PM

Look at your CPS, it can fail quickly and it sounds like yours would get hot and then fail. It would cool and then get hot and fail again. The key is to check for things that are related to the engine running. If you can read the code it threw then that will help as well. If you have fuel then check for spark and if you have spark then look at fuel. Air is the easiest and I am pretty sure that is not your issue. Once you check those things get back to us.

RoverD2002 01-10-2011 09:18 PM

You probably know but just in case you can stop at Advance Auto, Auto Zone or other auto parts store and they can connect an OBDII reader and read the codes.

disc oh no 01-10-2011 09:26 PM

Handsome Rob is right, get the code and start from there. I had a similar thing happen to me car started right up, then died, then wouldn't start, then fired right up, etc. finally died and wouldn't re-start and it turned out to be a fuel pump but, that wasn't on a Rover. Crank Pos. sensor sounds more like it but just a thought. Definitely loss of fuel or spark sounds like the problem. -Good Luck, tell us what you find.

Disco Mike 01-11-2011 09:05 AM

And when you get the codes get back to us with the numbers, not what they think they mean. While you are there get a price on a new crank sensor also.

Swampdonkey 01-11-2011 11:06 AM

Had the same thing happen to me, ended up being crank position sensor, advanced actually has the part, cost around 40 bucks, installed myself its in a tight space, youtube has a video on how to install if you want to do it yourself...

hilltoppersx 01-11-2011 12:31 PM

sounds like a classic CPS problem.

lowapr 01-11-2011 03:34 PM

Thank you all for your help, I will have to drive the car to Autozone, about 6 miles from my house to get the codes for you guys, also Swampdonkey do you have a link to the video to replace the CPS? I can't find it on youtube, or maybe a diagram, or location of this part on the vehicle it self. Thanks so much :rolleyes:

dcarr1971 01-11-2011 03:46 PM

Here's a link to the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3HYZsC9UGI

lowapr 01-11-2011 04:06 PM

:confused:dcarr1971, I was looking at that video before, but I was not sure if it was infact the correct precedure for an 03 Land Rover Discovery, He never makes any references on the year make and model that he is working on, So if it is in fact it looks pretty easy, but I will take the car to the auto store just to make sure I get the codes for you guys, I want to make sure that I am replacing the right part. Thanks