Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

22 mpg or bust.... and reliable. Engine swap discussion thread.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

The problem with the mustang trans (I've looked at them before) is they're all 2wd. You could do a divorced transfer case, but honestly I'm not sure there's room for the rear driveshaft to be long enough at that point.

The 4x4 explorer is probably a similar weight to my D2. With my tools and camping gear, hitch, etc I come out a little heavier than stock.

Originally Posted by PalmettoDisco
If you're considering an ecoboost, look for a wrecked stick shift Mustang with the 2.3l ecoboost 4 cylinder. Probably a few of them around. 310HP and 30mpg in the 1,000 lb lighter Mustang. Probably would get about 23mpg like the 4x4 Explorers. My sister in law has a 2 wheel drive 4 cylinder ecoboost Explorer and just got 26mpg on a trip to Florida. The 2 wheel drive is about the same weight as the D2. 4x4 Explorer is a little heavier.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:29 PM
Camel Trophy

That 4.3 is based on the traditional small block Chevy where the new ones are based on the LS family, but are equally reliable. More Hp than the older ones too, which weren't bad to begin with.

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Yeah, if you're considering a raw build...the sky is the limits. 4.3 is a great engine, had one in my Jimmy...put 300K+ on it...without any issues. I'm not sure what the horsepower was, but it would be comparable.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

In my early 20’s I put a mustang 5.0 into my bronco2 at the time. I converted it to carburetor, used a c4 auto. It had stock 4:10 gears and totally transformed the truck from sloth to beast.
The stock 7.5 rear axles didn’t last long. Lol
i remember that when driven sanely it was actually better on gas than the 2.9 v6 it came with. Sorry I don’t remember the actual mpg.

I’m a v8 fan and wouldn’t use anything but. The sound and power curve are unbeatable in my opinion.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:17 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
AC, tell me more. What computer is running your engine? The Rover ECU or a Chevy one? I'd more heavily consider an LS family engine if it could get me closer to 20. The savings on the front would roughly balance out the cost in gas. I'm gonna probably ditch the ZF either way in favor of a manual which will save some on gas. In the way of electronics, I'm ready to ditch everything but the BCM.
The GM ECM is running the engine. The Rover ECM is running everything else including the transmission. I am using a microcontroller to feed certain signals back and forth between the two. That way the Rover can still run the A/C, ABS, TC, Cruise, etc.. You cannot ditch the Rover ECU, basically nothing will work, including the BCM.

Thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...version-90395/

Old 08-23-2018, 11:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ACEngineer
The GM ECM is running the engine. The Rover ECM is running everything else including the transmission. I am using a microcontroller to feed certain signals back and forth between the two. That way the Rover can still run the A/C, ABS, TC, Cruise, etc.. You cannot ditch the Rover ECU, basically nothing will work, including the BCM.

Thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...version-90395/
So other than hill decent control, tach, temp, and the CAN transmission stuff what do you really need the rover ecu for? The rest of the comm stuff is input only per the wiring diagram. The tach and temp stuff is very simple pwm signals, and the CAN stuff could be thrown out if you went with the ashcroft controler.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:28 AM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by robertf
So other than hill decent control, tach, temp, and the CAN transmission stuff what do you really need the rover ecu for? The rest of the comm stuff is input only per the wiring diagram. The tach and temp stuff is very simple pwm signals, and the CAN stuff could be thrown out if you went with the ashcroft controler.
The Ashcroft controller is >$1,000. I didn't want to spend that when I know there is a perfectly usable transmission controller in the truck. My approach from the beginning has been to keep as much factory equipment as reasonable. I also wanted to avoid a wiring nightmare, so I cut as few wires as absolutely possible. The biggest issue with pulling the ECU is the immobilizer, which I didn't want to mess with. It's not that the ECU can't be removed, it's just more work, in my opinion, to remove it than to leave it in place. It really depends on how much of the Rover accessories you want to keep running in the end.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by ACEngineer
The Ashcroft controller is >$1,000. I didn't want to spend that when I know there is a perfectly usable transmission controller in the truck. My approach from the beginning has been to keep as much factory equipment as reasonable. I also wanted to avoid a wiring nightmare, so I cut as few wires as absolutely possible. The biggest issue with pulling the ECU is the immobilizer, which I didn't want to mess with. It's not that the ECU can't be removed, it's just more work, in my opinion, to remove it than to leave it in place. It really depends on how much of the Rover accessories you want to keep running in the end.
This is a good approach, for your application...in my opinion. Especially, if you want to assemble a swap kit that is responsibly priced/doable by "Joe-Smo" backyard mechanic...and still retains some of the original features...without rewiring them from ground zero.

Brian.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:07 AM
Camel Trophy

Ok, so here's a question. Honestly, of even be willing to ditch the BCM. How is the SRS controlled? I don't particularly want to give up airbags. I'd be fine switching to manual air controls from a D1, re-wiring the door locks without remote access, etc if I could still keep SRS. any ideas?

What I'm hearing is I need a turbo 4.8 LS with a try. There goes the vague amount of practicality that I started with ...

In all seriousness, a 4.8 V8 LS doesn't sound like a bad option. Could probably pick up an NV4500 cheap, though I'd prefer a 6 speed. Anyone have transmission recommendations to mate to an LS?

That SRS question is a big one for me.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Ok, so here's a question. Honestly, of even be willing to ditch the BCM. How is the SRS controlled? I don't particularly want to give up airbags. I'd be fine switching to manual air controls from a D1, re-wiring the door locks without remote access, etc if I could still keep SRS. any ideas?

What I'm hearing is I need a turbo 4.8 LS with a try. There goes the vague amount of practicality that I started with ...

In all seriousness, a 4.8 V8 LS doesn't sound like a bad option. Could probably pick up an NV4500 cheap, though I'd prefer a 6 speed. Anyone have transmission recommendations to mate to an LS?

That SRS question is a big one for me.

Yeah, the D2 transmission.
AcEngineer is making the whole kit, wiring harness, motor mounts, bell housing adapter.
Just add your LS3 and do some fab where the exhaust meets the manifold.
That has got to be 20+mpg.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 11:18 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

As far as airbags go.
I'm seriously considering pulling the fuse and dash bulb.
I'm not too thrilled driving behind 15+ year old airbags.
And not about to pay for new ones.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (08-24-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 22 mpg or bust.... and reliable. Engine swap discussion thread.