Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

22 mpg or bust.... and reliable. Engine swap discussion thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 942 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm pretty stuck on swapping out the trans at the same time. I saw that a kit was being out together, and it's enticing, but I don't think that's gonna be my route.

Pretty stuck on the airbags too. I'm just not too keen on giving them up. This is going to be a family runner ome day, too, so it's gotta be safe.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Don't take this wrong, and this is not directed at Alex...but it's funny what folks deem important...nowadays.

Was visiting with my folks last night (86 and 84 yrs old) and we were talking about the trip we took out west in 65. Three weeks, few miles short of 7000...dad was laid off, no A/C, four kids in the back (none wearing seatbelts), no cell phone, no healthcare coverage, no AAA towing service, no tools, no credit card, no Yeti (Styrofoam cooler, believe that) and no worries...and get this...we lived.

Sorry for the sidetrack. But the airbag thingy got me thinking about the days before such things. Okay, this old man is done reminiscing...lol.

Back on topic...

There's a guy here in Michigan that's putting a cummins in his Dll...can hook you up with his contact info...if you happen to change gears about the build. Not sure how he's coming along, been a bit since I had any correspondence.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Camel Trophy

Brian, that sounds like a heck of a trip. Times have surely changed. Can't believe you all didn't even take tools! I'd love to have the contact info for the guy doing the Cummins swap.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:07 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Man Brian brings back memories, 5 kids , dog, mom and dad up front happily smoking away 70 + miles up a forest service road to go fishing. In station wagon with not a tool, first aid kit or much else than food and camping gear. Pretty sure bear defense was the cast iron frying pan.

Managed to live through all that, and catch some decent fish as I recall.

The Deputy (08-25-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 09:05 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, 70 liles I can believe. 7000 is... Heck, I wouldn't do that today without any tools. Y'all must've been more brave back then. I love hearing the stories though.

I've been looking at motors on Facebook. 5.3s are a dime a dozen. Seema like people want MORE money for the 4.8s. Unfortunate, since I'd much prefer the 4.8. if I were to go the LS route I light have to score a 4.8 off eBay and get the harness and what knot separate. I could save a couple hundred on the front end, but not much good if it cost me even 1 mpg on the back end.

And then there's still the turbo V6 option...

The Deputy (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Haha, 70 liles I can believe. 7000 is... Heck, I wouldn't do that today without any tools. Y'all must've been more brave back then.
Funny, my parents asked what l remembered most about the trip. Replied, "Riding in the car and looking out the window." We had no 3X5 device to absorb our eyeballs...we took in the country and all it had to offer.

We even went into the baja peninsula, Mexico. No passports...just a few questions. Hell, we got questioned more going into California.

I believe the 4.8 would be a better fit, horsepower wise.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:19 PM
Camel Trophy

Now that I understand. I'm not too young to remember the days before electronic distraction on road trips. That's one thing my parents were pretty tight on. I didn't get a phone till I started highschool. Don't expect my kids will either.

The 4.8 is looking more and more like a good option. I do intend to do more research on the TD5 swap, but finding parts I feel like would be a huge pain. Tunability may also not be too good in the US.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

AudiAudiAudiAudiAudiAudiAudiAudiAudiAudiAudiAudiAu diAudiAudiAudiAudiAudiAudiAudiAudiAudi

Old 08-26-2018, 02:48 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok, so I've been looking more into divorceing the transfer case. 4wd 6 speeds are hard to find unfortunately. A t56 is looking like my best option transmission wise.

Theoretically, what if I were to just flip the front driveshaft to the rear and rear to the front? Are the flanges different? Could I just switch the flanges? That should gain me the extra length I need for divorcing the t-case.

Then I could have an intermediary shaft made to go between the t56 and lt230. Lots of fabrication in the mounting, but that's no real issue. Just have to buy raw material and conaumables. I could also tie the transmission into the same fabricated frame so there would be minimal flax between the two, negating even the need for universal joints in the intermediary shaft. It could drop in/out as a single assembly.

Thought?

Old 08-26-2018, 02:55 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm thinking with a 6 speed manual/4.8l LS, given a small cam and conservative driving, I'm betting I can hit 21 mpg. I'm finding 4.8s as cheap as $300 shipped, so one with low mileage should run $500 or so.

Quick Reply: 22 mpg or bust.... and reliable. Engine swap discussion thread.