Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   2in Lift Kit.. Did I miss something? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/2in-lift-kit-did-i-miss-something-81183/)

cobbcj7 10-05-2016 04:44 PM

2in Lift Kit.. Did I miss something?

I installed 2in lift springs only on my 04 Disco. It rides great and looks great. But if I go over a rough parking lot entrance or a low speed pot hole or bump, I hear a loud thunk! I also don't feel like I'm getting full suspension travel..
Should I have disconnected sway bars? Are the shocks bottoming out??
Thanks

Big Jim Swade 10-05-2016 04:47 PM

The shocks wouldn't be bottoming out, but they could be topping out. If they are, they won't last long.

Best4x4 10-05-2016 05:15 PM

Did you just install coil springs or coils & springs. Sounds an awful lot like stock shocks on new taller coils.

cobbcj7 10-05-2016 06:05 PM

I just put in the coil springs.. 2in lift..

cobbcj7 10-05-2016 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade (Post 581588)
The shocks wouldn't be bottoming out, but they could be topping out. If they are, they won't last long.

Thats what I meant... so is that the sound im hearing?? I can feel and hear it..
What shocks would be the right fit??

Frank4 10-05-2016 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by cobbcj7 (Post 581597)
Thats what I meant... so is that the sound im hearing?? I can feel and hear it..
What shocks would be the right fit??

Can almost guarantee one of your rear shocks aren't fully tightened at the bottom. I had a 2" lift with stock shocks and had the same noise. And just my .02 on aftermarket shocks on a lifted disco, the terra firma and the OME ride about the same. Your ride is going to depend on the spring rate of your coils.

cobbcj7 10-05-2016 07:06 PM

So is there any real danger in riding like this for a while? I hardly ever go off-road..

cobbcj7 10-05-2016 07:15 PM

I checked the rear shocks.. I never loosened the bolts on the shocks to install the springs.. So they are tight..

But what about the Anti-sway bar in the rear? will that cause any problems with articulation or the bumping sound?

Red5 10-05-2016 08:34 PM

As others have mentioned, if you are running 2+ springs with the original shocks, it's likely they are topping out and that's what you are hearing. Running as it is will probably not grenade you truck tomorrow but you should replace pretty soon. Terrafirma TF127 and TF128 are pretty popular.

In stock form, the sway bars should easily deal with 2in lift.

There are dozens of other things that may be causing the noise, but my money is on the too-short shocks.

coors 10-05-2016 08:50 PM

Certainly sounds like your stock shocks are topping out. Replace them with +2" shocks and you'll be good to go. I would recommend against disconnectig your sway bars it may only amplify your problem.