Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Amigos

I am starting to have a love/hate relationship with my 01 Disco. I am experiencing the 3 Amigo lights. of course the LR dealer is very expensive to have just the diag charge. I did change the front brakes on the Disco and bled the brakes. This did not seem to solve the problem. After changing the front pads I did go and do some road testing as per the Rover's North Forum where found a hill to go down and engage the hill decent and put it in 4 low, the one thing I did notice is the the green hill decent light did not come on. However then I found a sandy road where to test to see if the anti lock brakes would do their thing, and they did. So I think I have ruled out the ABS pump. I am now lost as to what to check next. I am taking it to a shop that said they will check it out. They seem confident they can resolve the problem. Where else do I look or can I point them in the direction of? Anything will be helpful. Thanks

Old 12-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: 3 Amigos

There is nothing that you can check, you need to get to a mechanic who has a lap top type scanner that can access the ABS portion of the ECU. Since your ABS still pulsates on hard braking, if you can get the codes read and then cleared, the lights will most likely stay off.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Mudding

Thank you, when I take it in tomorrow, I will have them do that. Since the green hill decent light didn't come on while the 3 Amigos are on, then it should function as normal? Again Thank You

Old 12-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Mudding

Here is the update,
Took it to the LR Dealer, and they determined the right front wheel sensor harness. They also informed me that the ProLine Brake Pads I installed may cause this to continue to cause the 3 Amigos to come on again even after they replace the harness/ wiring at $400 and change. They did reset the codes but stated will probably come back on. I did not have the harness replaced at this time, since I guess I will invest in the more expensive LR Brake Pads. Does this all seem correct?? I am assuming I could probably replace this harness myself fairly easy. I do have the Rave CD so I will refer to it also.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Some of the ABS harness have had problem. Are you brake pads squeaking, did you use sound deadening material on the backing plates?
Don't go buying factory pads till we talk some more.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:15 PM

I'm right there with you. same thing happened to me. My 2004 Disco had the "4" amigos...hahah (HD, T/C, Brake and 4x4). Took it into the dealer under warrenty and they said the sensor was missing and replaced with an updated harness.

A day later while driving my brake squeeked while coming up on a semi and threw the lights again. Frustrating would be an understatement! But we learn to live with it I suppose.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Mudding

Brakes are not squeeling and I did not use any sound deading material on the backing plates. Thanks Mike you are the most helpful person.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Mudding

NWDiscoRover2004:
you wrote:

"A day later while driving my brake squeeked while coming up on a semi and threw the lights again. Frustrating would be an understatement! But we learn to live with it I suppose. "

These systems are a MENACE . I cannot believe how many people on all Rover forums make the abovestatement or advise people not to worry about it or live with it!!!!When the lights are on (most times) you lose ABS function and traction control which could have tragic consequences!!
One should not pay $40-$50,000 for a luxury vehicle and expect to have ' to live with' any troubles like this. I have never seen anything like this.My '87 Audi is all original, looks showroom new , and has 300,000 miles on it!!! Land Rover should have addresed this problem when it started and taking care of the expense! My dealer says 'well, with high mileage like yours, these things happen. HIGH MILEAGE!---My Disco has 73,000 miles on the clock I hardly consider that High Mileage!! It is a shame that we all have to 'learn to live' with a potentially fatal problem that is the result of poor engineering and quality controls!!!
I am paying $2200 tomorrow to fix this horrid problem with a new ABS modulator and hopefully will not 'just have to live ' with a vehicle , that left unfixed, could kill my whole family by driving it.

Iwould not advise any Disco owners to 'live with it' contrary to what is exclaimed on these message boards.

My RANT is over...thanks for listening,

-aaron

Old 12-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Mudding

Ok just picked it up, and they reset the ABS lights. Of course they mentioned that with the non-Land Rover pads they would not warranty if they replaced the overlay harness on the right front sensor. I asked them why would I want to put pads on that could be a cause of the ABS sensors because the pads give off so much dust and that could be result of the failure of the ABS sensor. Their reply was that the new pads now have a line in them thatreduces the amount of dust coming from the pads. They reset the lights and will see how long this lasts. I will probably change the sensor my self after getting over the Christmas speding. There was no other failure in the system other than that. The brakes don't make any noise at all, I think I'm just going to run with it for now. What is your opinion Mike?

Thanks for anything you can add.

Jeff

Old 12-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Mudding

Well today after 65 miles of total driving the lights came back on. I guess I will invest in getting the harness overlay (right front wheel)put on as the shop recommended as per their diag. Just haven't decided if I will do it or be lazy and have them do it.

Quick Reply: 3 Amigos