Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3 Amigos

ORIGINAL: bearcatfans

NWDiscoRover2004:
you wrote:

"A day later while driving my brake squeeked while coming up on a semi and threw the lights again. Frustrating would be an understatement! But we learn to live with it I suppose. "

These systems are a MENACE . I cannot believe how many people on all Rover forums make the abovestatement or advise people not to worry about it or live with it!!!!When the lights are on (most times) you lose ABS function and traction control which could have tragic consequences!!
One should not pay $40-$50,000 for a luxury vehicle and expect to have ' to live with' any troubles like this. I have never seen anything like this.My '87 Audi is all original, looks showroom new , and has 300,000 miles on it!!! Land Rover should have addresed this problem when it started and taking care of the expense! My dealer says 'well, with high mileage like yours, these things happen. HIGH MILEAGE!---My Disco has 73,000 miles on the clock I hardly consider that High Mileage!! It is a shame that we all have to 'learn to live' with a potentially fatal problem that is the result of poor engineering and quality controls!!!
I am paying $2200 tomorrow to fix this horrid problem with a new ABS modulator and hopefully will not 'just have to live ' with a vehicle , that left unfixed, could kill my whole family by driving it.

Iwould not advise any Disco owners to 'live with it' contrary to what is exclaimed on these message boards.

My RANT is over...thanks for listening,

-aaron
I completly agree with you, I have a Disco II (2001) with the 3 amigo on. I crashed into a car while I was parking, doing maybe 5 - 10 mph. the brake pedal was hard as a rock and the truck kept moving and I crashed onto the car that was parked on the other side. 99% of LR owner get into the 3 amigo light.because a sensor get dirty or whatever the reason maybe, those truck are design to go off road but then the electronics and other gizmo will fail if they get dirty ?? it it poor design. LR should come up with a better solution and replace it to their customer for free. it is a safety hazard and LR should be hold accountable for that.
I'm just wondering what would have happen if I had my brake faillure not on a parling lot but coming down Mount Charleston......

Old 12-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Mudding

I wonder if enough of us complained maybe it would happen. I found all kinds of TSB's on ABS issues, but no recalls except for some bolt on the ABS modulator. All Data was very helpful in finding this information, but when I called Land Rover to check status if any recalls on my vehicle that had not been performed and asked the customer service rep about the TSB's, he stated these were really not for the consumer to see, and kind of avoided that conversation and really wanted to get off the call. I know I bought my vehicle used, but if I'm supposed to spend $475 to have some overlay harness installed to correct the problem (this time) what happens when I have to have the harness on the other side replaced? Another $475 for a bad design? Then when the part in the ABS modulator fails then I'm supposed to spend the money to have that replaced also? I can see it if the car is 10 or 15 years old, but in one that is 5,6 or 7? This vehicle was whataround $40K new in '01? I knew that you have to be on top of things with these vehicles, but some of these things give me a break. I'm done ranting now LOL

Old 12-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same fears. I love my 96 DI, and really the only problems were due to neglect which I have finally overcome (fortunately). My Disco runs and rides amazing. I have had it most of its life and can not believe how great it has been. Maybe I have just been really lucky or what.

I do want to purchase a 03-04 disco or a slightly used 06-07 RR but am terrified not only with the yearly hit, but with all the problems you guys have been having with the later models.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the amigos as well, but I am a little confused by some of your statements. Having the amigos will not cause your brakes to fail (at least to my knowledge); it simply means, with regards to the brakes, that your ABS may or may not be working. There are many cars out there on the road with no ABS. I drove one for years! My wifes car has ABS and they have never been needed. In fact, if you are driving so fast and breaking so hard that the ABS kicks in all of the time, then you need to do everyone a favor and stop driving. (Or at the very least get a car which is designed to be driven in that manner - i.e. sports car). That is not to say that ABS is not beneficial, but honestly, this thing is not a death trap with the three amigos on!

Correct me if I am wrong, but my $.02.

Brian

Old 12-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Three Wheeling

I believe it is completely possible that this issue could force a recall. Especially if as at least one person has reported, this can cause a crash.

The thing it, people need to complain to the NHTSA. It's like a power failure... if the power goes out in your house, and nobody calls the power company because they assume one of their neighbors did, then how will the power company ever know?

I just looked at the NHTSA website, and there are very few "3 Amigos" related complaints. For example, in 2003 there are more complaints about the gas and brake pedal being too close together (retarded) than 3 Amigo related items.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

There are currently investigations underway for the brake light switch, nothing for the hydraulics.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Mudding

Brian,
To reply to your confusion regarding the ABS, personally I would prefer not to have the ABS brakes on any vehicle, however on myDiscovery,the ABSis not failing with the 3 Amigo lights (what mine needs is an overlay harness at the sensor). When the 3 Amigo lights on showing a failure, then the traction control and the hill decent does not work at all. Now is it important to have the traction control to work? Well I guess in the winter months in Idaho this would be nice especially on the snowy mountain roads. The same 3 Amigo lights can also be related to the valve in the ABS modulator and at slow speeds 2-5 mph could cause the brakes to completely lock up on slick surfaces with light depression off the brake pedal. The way I understand the system works you depress the pedal and engage the plunger valve in the modulater, and if it sticks shut the brakes continue to be engaged, thus not pulsating the brakes (ABS) and the brakes lock up and may not release by releasing the pedal. You tell me failure or not?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Three Wheeling

parking lot speed would be to fast ? I had a complete brake failure, the pedal got hard as a rock, the truck keept moving until I slammed into the car that was parked on the other side (which happened to be my insurance agent car, as it happened right in front of his office) you are right when you said it shouldn't do that, all it's supposed to do is to have the ABS not working. BUT it did.
I too drove many cars without ABS and I had never had a problem. this is my first "accident" in 20 years i'm driving. and I ride a bike (kawasaki ZZR 1200) everyday too. I never crashed.

again the ABS light should just tell us the abs is not fonctional but the brakes are still 100%, but it just didn't happen.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:09 PM
7th Gear

I have had the same problems. We all complain on the forum but how many of you have filed a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration? Especially those of you who have experienced loss of ABS or hard brakes? I think if they get enough complaints they will investigate. It is easy, just go to: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/

This problem needs to be addressed IMHO.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: DiscoMikeandMike

I have had the same problems. We all complain on the forum but how many of you have filed a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration? Especially those of you who have experienced loss of ABS or hard brakes? I think if they get enough complaints they will investigate. It is easy, just go to: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/

This problem needs to be addressed IMHO.
well, I just did file the complain.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Three Wheeling

ANY speed is too fast. In a parking lot, you could pin somebody between your cars. Or drive over a cliff, etc...

Any failure of the braking system in recallable.

Quick Reply: 3 Amigos