Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:39 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3 Amigos

Agreed. It could be a simple as rolling through a red light!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Gentlemen, I agree that the three amigos are annoying; however, relating to the brakes, I do not understand how they can prohibit a Disco from having standard (non ABS) brakes. If that is the case, then I will stop driving my Disco; but, I have not heard any explaination that would lead me to believe that the three amigos will inhibit or impair standard braking.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

By the way, if you are in Houston, I know an independent Land Rover shop that does good work and will repair the Three Amigos for a very reasonable cost. Really nice guy. I have been meaning to get it done, but basically I have not wanted to fork over the money because (1) I don't drive the Disco very much or very far and (2) the lights don't annoy me that much!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Mudding

To Briancbev:

someone in this threadwrote:

"A day later while driving my brake squeeked while coming up on a semi and threw the lights again. Frustrating would be an understatement! But we learn to live with it I suppose. "

And as I stated before..........

"These systems are a MENACE . I cannot believe how many people on all Rover forums make the abovestatement or advise people not to worry about it or live with it!!!!When the lights are on (most times) you lose ABS function and traction control which could have tragic consequences!!
One should not pay $40-$50,000 for a luxury vehicle and expect to have ' to live with' any troubles like this."

----------------------------------------------------------
My point was not really that the brakes would give it as it was the simple fact that no one should buy a 'luxury car' and then have so many expensive repairs!!! If over 50-75% of Disco owners have to shell out 1500-$2000 to replace a major brake system component, that is a problem. If I wanted to drive around with warning lights in my face constantly, then I would still be driving my rusty '82 Tercel from my college days!!!!!

-Aaron

Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Mudding

Brian
In Houston TX you may never have an issue where the ABS are even needed, nor will you have a need for Traction Control. Us that live where it snows may have the need for traction control. When the 3 lights are on this means that we don't have the traction control.The other thing, I believe that it would be nice to be able to engage the hill decent (mountains we have in Idaho), this also does not work when the warning lights are on. The ECU disables these features. As mentioned in my case, there is a harness overlay that needs to be replaced (for now anyway) codes cleared and everything functions. However as mentioned and others have experienced, there is a failure in the ABS Modulator and that can be a serious problem.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you guys are already hitting it on the head, but I just wanted to throw in that if it is a shuttle valve throwing the codes, you lose ABS , and these are 5500+ trucks. You need ABS. I lost my ABS last winter due to a wheel sensor. RF was out and the whole system kicked out (the bulb was pulled as well). Not having this safety feature is not something I would tell anyone to "live with". To an unexperienced driver, as some are who buy these trucks, it could be something to die with. Unless you know for certain there is no problem with someone's truck, don't tell them to live with it....

Old 12-17-2007, 03:49 PM
7th Gear

I have to agree. ABS IS a safety issue. It is well documented that ABS systems allow manuevering control during hard braking. Plus your stopping distances are shorter, more so on wet or snow covered roads. This can especially be critical with a top heavy SUV. It may make a difference between a serious or deadly incident and a close call. Again, I encourage everyone that has had this problem to report it to the link in one of the above replies. We should not have to live with this!

Don't get me wrong. I love our D2. It drives well, is fun, looks great, feels great and seems to be solid. There has to be a better engineering fix for such an overlysensitive system that disables a critical braking function. But it seems that the only way LR will step up to the plate is if forced to. I am really surprised that this issue has not surfaced in some litigation!

Old 12-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Three Wheeling

probably because nothing extreme has been reported yet that will link to the ABS failure due to the 3 amigos being on.
I love my truck too, but those kind of thing should not happen, it's like last time it rained here (in vegas.....) I took the truck in a "dry"lake, to play in the mud, I'm talking about maybe 3 or 4 inches of mud. so nothing spectacular here, then for about 2 weeks my speedo was jumping up and down and sometime not working at all.. to me , this should not happen at all. I had a Isuzu rodeo and it never gave me this kind of problems, I actually went in a lot deeper mud (passing thru it was giving me a 7 or 8 feet wave on each side , my kids had a blast..) the engine compartment was just covered with mud, it took me 2 hours at the car wash to remove (almost) everything. the truck just kept on going, 8 or 9 years ago, I lived in New Orleans, at that time I had a Isuzu Amigo that I used to take to the swamp, same here the truck just keep on going, I never had any problems with abs,speedo or what ever ,I sold that truck with 168 000 miles and still strong.
from Land Rover, I expect it to be 100% better on everything than my Isuzu.