Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos, Intermittent fault - OK to drive ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 03:23 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Amigos, Intermittent fault - OK to drive ?

So I've had the 3 Amigos pop up while driving a couple times. When I shut the truck off and restart it , they go away.

Should I be worried about driving with this intermittent fault ?

Thanks for the replies !

-Harrison

Old 10-30-2015, 04:31 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

If you are comfortable driving without ABS and Traction Control then don't worry.

When those lights are illuminated your automatic brake assist system will not work.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:39 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Dave03S
If you are comfortable driving without ABS and Traction Control then don't worry.

When those lights are illuminated your automatic brake assist system will not work.
Thanks for the reply Dave.

i don't mind driving w/o them considering my last vehicle didn't have either. Plus there isn't any snow on the ground yet anyway so I have some time to figure it out

Old 10-30-2015, 04:41 PM
7th Gear

Also, I'm about to get the ABS amigo reset tool for 90 GBP.

I hear this can help fix the issue.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Drifting

With my three amigos I actually still have ABS although my light is on. I think every truck is a bit different.

The tool will reset the codes but they will likely just come back again.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I remember reading somewhere some time ago that while the Amigos are present, the ABS can work, but at a reduced rate. While present, you can forget about HDC and TC. I nearly had to be pulled off a berm while wheeling a few years ago because the Amigos showed up as I was traversing it at an angle, and one tire on each axle was spinning freely.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can rent you my ABS amigo tool for $10/week + shipping....its gone to several members here and works great.

will let you identify exactly what's wrong so you don't go throwing parts at it.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

for another $35 you can get icarsoft scanner that will read you abs, sls & read and clear any obdii codes

Old 11-02-2015, 10:13 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
I can rent you my ABS amigo tool for $10/week + shipping....its gone to several members here and works great.

will let you identify exactly what's wrong so you don't go throwing parts at it.
I may definitely have to take you up on that.

I'll inbox you !

Thanks a bunch

Old 11-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 893 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I remember reading somewhere some time ago that while the Amigos are present, the ABS can work, but at a reduced rate. While present, you can forget about HDC and TC. I nearly had to be pulled off a berm while wheeling a few years ago because the Amigos showed up as I was traversing it at an angle, and one tire on each axle was spinning freely.
Thanks lordmorpheus, for reminding me to go look up the facts about how the ABS, etc. function when a fault is detected and the Three Amigos pay a visit.

The boys from south of the border don't necessarily indicate that your ABS is disabled.

I've attached RAVE pages 876-877. On 876 (70-23) it says that a shuttle valve switch fault is considered a "permanent fault," which remains illuminated until cleared and which means that if the OP's Amigos are intermittent he has a different problem. (Despite that I recall my Three Amigos being intermittent until I did the Option B bypass in January 2011 after my ABS Amigo indicated a shuttle valve switch problem.)

Page 877 (70-24) shows the default strategies that are employed when an ABS fault is detected. A shuttle valve switch fault (by far the most common based on forum traffic) disables the traction control and hill descent control, and degrades but does not disable ABS and electronic brake distribution.

There have been a lot of incorrect posts on this and other LR forums claiming that the Three Amigos mean that ABS is disabled. It is not in all cases. The table shows that ABS is disabled in four of the seven default strategies. And in all my years on this forum I have never, ever seen anything other than sensor faults and shuttle valve switch faults discussed.

So yes, Harrison, it's okay to drive your truck with the Three Amigos lit up.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DII ABS Diagnostics.pdf (22.9 KB, 1135 views)

Quick Reply: 3 Amigos, Intermittent fault - OK to drive ?