Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos, Intermittent fault - OK to drive ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 11:01 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Thanks lordmorpheus, for reminding me to go look up the facts about how the ABS, etc. function when a fault is detected and the Three Amigos pay a visit.

The boys from south of the border don't necessarily indicate that your ABS is disabled.

I've attached RAVE pages 876-877. On 876 (70-23) it says that a shuttle valve switch fault is considered a "permanent fault," which remains illuminated until cleared and which means that if the OP's Amigos are intermittent he has a different problem. (Despite that I recall my Three Amigos being intermittent until I did the Option B bypass in January 2011 after my ABS Amigo indicated a shuttle valve switch problem.)

Page 877 (70-24) shows the default strategies that are employed when an ABS fault is detected. A shuttle valve switch fault (by far the most common based on forum traffic) disables the traction control and hill descent control, and degrades but does not disable ABS and electronic brake distribution.

There have been a lot of incorrect posts on this and other LR forums claiming that the Three Amigos mean that ABS is disabled. It is not in all cases. The table shows that ABS is disabled in four of the seven default strategies. And in all my years on this forum I have never, ever seen anything other than sensor faults and shuttle valve switch faults discussed.

So yes, Harrison, it's okay to drive your truck with the Three Amigos lit up.
Gotcha thanks - I took her on a 3 hour drive Friday and Saturday. On friday they came on after about 45 minutes and on saturday they didn't come on at all

Old 11-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
(Despite that I recall my Three Amigos being intermittent until I did the Option B bypass in January 2011 after my ABS Amigo indicated a shuttle valve switch problem.)
Same here. My initial Amigos came and went as they pleased. I pulled my shuttle valve switches and tested them. Even though there was no brake fluid leakage, they tested bad. I replaced them, the seals, and did the option 'B' wiring fix just for peace of mind.

Years later, they returned, and if I remember right, they were continuous then. After troubleshooting, I traced the issue to the SLABS ECU. I replaced it with one from an '04 (no more Amigos when started with the diff lock engaged) and I have been Amigo free since.