Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos Plus??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Amigos Plus??

This truck had been sitting a couple months and it had no faults when it was put away. Now getting it out I get faults.

3 Amigos
BRAKE dash light
Service Engine Soon dash light
Gas Gauge all the way down and empty light on.

Got the below 3 Amigos read from my ABS Amigo It does clear two Amigos but within a second or so they come back on.

Car drives and runs fine.

Through search I found the thread on fixing ABS faults and removed and sanded all engine bay grounds, removed the plug on the ABS unit, looks ok. These things didn't change anything.

OBDII codes 1590 and 0453 clear but come back.

Any ideas what to do next?

--------------------------------------------------------------
|* ABS Amigo Box V1 RSW Solutions LLC Copyright 2008. *|
|* www.RSWsolutions.com *|
|* *|
|* *|
|* Version V1.1 *|
|* *|
--------------------------------------------------------------
1.--Current Faults---->
Active Faults:
065:Rear Left sensor electric fail
067:Rear Right sensor electric fail
Logged Faults:
<-END Faults
------------------------------------------------------------
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
Logged Faults:
<-END Faults
..--Previous Faults--->
Active Faults:
Logged Faults:
<-END Faults

Old 11-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Mudding

Does anyone know if the dealer will take a look at the car, diagnose it for a fee but not repair?

I want a chance to fix it myself but being pointed to what it is would be a big help in this case.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the look of your amigo it may be that the plug for your rear sensors on your SLABS ECU has come loose. Check to make sure the plug is all the way seated. Then try to run your amigo. Run the vehicle and see if they come back.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by seaosrover
By the look of your amigo it may be that the plug for your rear sensors on your SLABS ECU has come loose. Check to make sure the plug is all the way seated. Then try to run your amigo. Run the vehicle and see if they come back.

Where is the SLABS ECU?

Old 11-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The SLABS unit is by the master cylinder, it will say SLABS on it.

EDIT:sorry, wrong spot. That is your ABS modulator, it has a circuit board in it. The SLABS unit is behind the dash.

Last edited by Spike555; 11-14-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: my bad
Old 11-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Mudding

Under the passenger dash there look like 2 units, one with 6 or 8 one inch plugs in it and one with 3 larger plugs. On the outside wall. I took a quick look just now. Is it one of those?

Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Mudding

Any other ideas on this? Car was fine before sitting a while then these codes; battery was about dead when I got the car out for use.

I followed one ABS repair thread and cleaned all the ground points I could find in the engine bay, none really looked bad. Checked the connections on the ABS unit and they looked good.

1590 code due to 3 Amigos. Other code related to my bad fuel level sensor. Just not able to figure the Amigos this time around. Last time 3 Amigos was just squeaky brakes and it was solved when I fixed the brakes.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the exact same issue with my Disco, except it had been sitting much longer, about 6 months. It was throwing the whole Christmas tree of lights on the dash, (Amigos, brake, SES).

Originally Posted by Princess
1590 code due to 3 Amigos. Other code related to my bad fuel level sensor. Just not able to figure the Amigos this time around. Last time 3 Amigos was just squeaky brakes and it was solved when I fixed the brakes.
That's not quite accurate I think. Check your Rave, but this code is related to the Amigos, but not due to them. It's a brake hardware fault code, and on my disco it was a bad ABS sensor. Looks like that's what your Amigo scanner is telling you too. Also the fact that the Amigos come back on immediately means it's probably not a bad hub since the vehicle is stationary.

Get a digital multimeter, set it to 2k Ohms, attach some long wire leads to the ends and unplug/check every one of your ABS sensors where they plug into the vehicle harness. My right rear sensor resulted in 0 ohms, so bingo. Should read between 900-1100 Ohms.

I also had a sticking caliper which I'm pretty sure was throwing the brake dash light. I rebuilt all the calipers with an AB kit, which didn't fix it because one caliper piston was corroded pretty bad, bought a new caliper and threw on a fresh set of pads and *muuuaa* beautiful nothingness.

Doesn't sound too major IMO, though I'm not familiar with your fuel level sensor issue. ABS sensors are common failures, that I do know.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Princess
Does anyone know if the dealer will take a look at the car, diagnose it for a fee but not repair?

I want a chance to fix it myself but being pointed to what it is would be a big help in this case.
You have got to be on drugs!!!!!!
How mechanical are you, are your wheels covered with black brake dust, do your brakes squeak?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You have got to be on drugs!!!!!!
How mechanical are you, are your wheels covered with black brake dust, do your brakes squeak?

I guess that is a no on asking the dealer for a dx!

I had a front right break squeak last year and fixed that. Am familiar with brakes tripping the 3 Amigos. I thought it was strange BOTH rear sensors failed at the same time so thought it might be something more common to both like a ground or maybe plugs to the computer. Where is the computer that the ABS sensors plug into? Can I put my meter on the wires right at the computer? Also my ABS Amigo doesn't clear the codes like it would if tripped by brake vibration.

Would be nice to have a picture of the ABS computer.

Quick Reply: 3 Amigos Plus??