Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 amigo's questions

Old 06-11-2018, 03:18 PM
TReK
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts
Default 3 amigo's questions

I have finally gotten the 3 amigo's, currently working on diagnosing the issue without codes. Yes I know it makes things way harder.

Cause : hard braking on a wet forest service road after replacing the rear left caliper bolts which fell put earlier. Yes I want to punch the guy who did the brakes last in the face.

No issues prior to this. The abs modulator does not appear to working, tested by using hill descent. Although I need to duplicate the test.

No braking issues after bolt replacement.

Rear left sensor cable is plugged in and appears undamaged.

Did the basic resistance test and ohm test for open valves as per these web sites, passed both.

https://landroverclubvi.weebly.com/abs-mod.html

https://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/..._Test_Proc.cfm

I have not removed the the unit to further test the the valve actuators as yet. But that is on my list for today.

I have a complete spare unit from a 03 which tests electrically fine.

Any suggestions of possible causes, I am arranging to have the codes read but that is a couple of days away.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I would recommend going right to option B, clearing codes and going from there... Its the least invasive and easiest thing to do..

Old 06-11-2018, 05:53 PM
TReK

My other option is to leave to old unit in place and hookup the electrical to the spare - and see if the lights vanish. I just don't want to risk damage to the spare, anyone know if that is viable ?

Old 06-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
My other option is to leave to old unit in place and hookup the electrical to the spare - and see if the lights vanish. I just don't want to risk damage to the spare, anyone know if that is viable ?
You could, but even if that clears the codes, option B is WAY less trouble than swappng the entire module. And at some point, the spare module will need the fix as well.

The following users liked this post:
razorkill12 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 07:41 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Could be a sensor issue. Get codes read first, then you'll know what needs to be fixed.

Richard Gallant (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Read the codes! If a wheel sensor isn't working, the ABS modulator won't activate. It's common for sensors to fail at the connections, not the actual sensor head itself. So you could replace all four sensors and still have the issue.

You can get a code reader to do ABS and SRS plus engine codes for around $100 US. It will pay for itself quickly with these D2s.

Richard Gallant (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 10:04 AM
TReK

jamestfl and Twix, that is what I am hoping, but I am going through the electronics testing to cover my bases. Other than getting the damm hex bolts outs it has been fairly straight forward.

I have access to Navcom on Saturday that's when I will know for sure.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard, my Rover guy, roverbones in Lancaster, PA, fixes I think 95% of these with a sensor bypass on the ABS modulator. I don't have the details of it, but consistent amigos for a year straight led me to him, and he threw that in with something else he was doing and never saw them again.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I am about to tackle the 3 light problem myself. If option B fixes the problem will the lights clear or do I need the special unit to clear them?

Old 06-12-2018, 02:23 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zuke
I am about to tackle the 3 light problem myself. If option B fixes the problem will the lights clear or do I need the special unit to clear them?
If you're replying to me, then I have no idea what he does. He doesn't add any unit to the vehicle; I think it's more of a re-routing of wires or something. I can try and find out when I go to him later this summer for refurb'd heads, front cover sealing, head gaskets, valve cover, and harness replacement for the two front O2 sensors which have been drowned by oil (the harness, that is).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 amigo's questions