Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos -- Urg!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Amigos issues -- UPDATE -- odd event

UPDATE UPDATE - OCT 16, 2011

I have some really odd updates on the 3 Amigos.

A few months back I got the 3 amigos when I was driving. I shut the engine down for 5 minites and it went away. It became more frequent, from every 2 weeks to once a week, to daily, to just driving a few miles.

Then the "CHECK ENGINE" light came on about a week ago, and the 3 amigos became less frequent. In fact, I only seen them twice since the check engine light came on, and haven't seen them for 4-5 days now, which is very odd because they became more frequent and almost permanent after a month.

I spoke to the dealer and planned to take the disco in for reading of the 3 amigos and the check engine light, BUT 1 1/2 days ago the check engine went AWAY!! ???? And it hasn't come back on and no 3 amigos?

Can I really be this lucky that the car just fixed "itself"?

Is that even a possibility or should I assume they will return in a few days. but why would the check engine light be on for a week, an then just go away??

Anyone with some insights?

Last edited by CaliLandrover; 10-16-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: new updates 2
Old 09-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

We will need to know the codes you are getting.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jafir
We will need to know the codes you are getting.
The problem is when I turn it off they go away for a week or so. I cant predict when they wil come on and when they do come on I am usually nowhere near my dealer who would be able to read the codes.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

There are a few forum members who own an ABS Amigo tool for reading and clearing the codes, which they rent out for a nominal fee. You might start a new thread asking who has one to rent.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:59 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

could very well be a speed sensor, could be a hub could be a shuttle valves. i saw an amigo for sale on here for $125. the dealer will charge you $125 just to read the codes then you need to fix the issue and pay another $125 to get the lights cleared....

Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

It is something to be concerned about, especially with winter coming up, you have no traction control or ABS.
You should go buy the ABS scanner listed for sale above your thread and find out why you have this problem, then fix it.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Overlanding

New update and possibly really lucky?? See above original UPDATED post..!

Old 10-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

your service engine light may have just burned out. Whether the lights are on or not, you should be able to see the codes in the memory. Good luck. Phil

Old 10-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
your service engine light may have just burned out. Whether the lights are on or not, you should be able to see the codes in the memory. Good luck. Phil
ThANKS.

Is that the only possibility or is it possible it was fixed on its own? Also, how would that explain the ABS Amigos becoming more and more frequent to not appearing at all, when the check engine light was on a few days ago?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

nothing fixes itself, except the terminator... the CEL and 3 amigos lights can very well be unrelated. if the 3 amigos lights was on and now is off that tells me it is most likely a hub. if it were a speed sensor it would come on right when you start the truck. the hub needs to be rolling to wobble. needless to say... you still need an ABS amigo and a ODB2 code reader if you want to solve your problems. note the s. problems.

Quick Reply: 3 Amigos -- Urg!