Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Discovery has a tough time accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup - I've heard that too Spike. Unfortunately I bought mine with 96k... and for all I know it could have 96k worth of 87 octane miles on it! I run 93 in it - and add seafoam every other tank or so. It runs better than when I bought it, but my guess is one of these days I'll just have to rebuild it to 'really' fix it.

I love it regardless... issues or not, it's been one reliable pig in every situation I've put it through.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:51 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

fuel pressure can do it, also air leaks can cause issues. Double platinums make all disco ones and twos run like ****. no power whatsoever and they think they got a better deal even after you tell them they are wrong.

anyway check fuel pressure and more importantly do a fuel pressure drop tests. turn the vehicle off, if the pressure drops quick you got a problem. I mean within five minutes and fast. that could be a fuel pump or injector. first thing though is to clamp off the return line and then check to see if it drops off, if it does its an injector. if not then its the pump.

if it is an injector dont waste time, if that cylinder stays in tdc and the injector fills up the cylinder when you start it, it will kill the motor.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhuegel1
Yup - I've heard that too Spike. Unfortunately I bought mine with 96k... and for all I know it could have 96k worth of 87 octane miles on it! I run 93 in it - and add seafoam every other tank or so. It runs better than when I bought it, but my guess is one of these days I'll just have to rebuild it to 'really' fix it.

I love it regardless... issues or not, it's been one reliable pig in every situation I've put it through.
What oil are you using?
Here is what I would do, change it and use Pennzoil Platinum, it is $22 for a 5 qt jug at Wal-Mart, then change it again after 2500 miles, again use the Pannzoil.
After another 2500 miles change it yet again and use either a diesel oil or stay with the full synthetic oil.
Doing these two short oil changes with the full syn will really clean out the engine.
Then staying with a good highly detergent oil will clean it even more and keep it clean.
If you use the diesel or full syn oil change it every 5,000 miles, any thing else every 3,000.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
What oil are you using?
Here is what I would do, change it and use Pennzoil Platinum, it is $22 for a 5 qt jug at Wal-Mart, then change it again after 2500 miles, again use the Pannzoil.
After another 2500 miles change it yet again and use either a diesel oil or stay with the full synthetic oil.
Doing these two short oil changes with the full syn will really clean out the engine.
Then staying with a good highly detergent oil will clean it even more and keep it clean.
If you use the diesel or full syn oil change it every 5,000 miles, any thing else every 3,000.
Thanks for the reply Spike - I actually have been running synthetic in it since I bought it. Oil stays relatively clean between changes.

I'm sure its still got some buildup in places though.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok sorry for the delay just got back and did some tests. Ok I'm getting around 20 psi from the fuel valve on the engine. I use rotella t oil been using it the past 10k miles or more. Ill be working on the truck all day today. I'm going to run the tests Rovin4life mentioned. I'm in northern nj if anyone wants to come by today for a look and some diagnosing.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:06 PM
TReK

if you get 20 psi at then make sure it isnt dropping as well.

and is this 20 psi while running?

if it is its possible its the injector, the pump, clamp off the lines to see if there is a change. if there is a change then its a the injectors and you have to pull up the rail to see whats leaking or stuck.

if it doesnt then its the pump or the filter.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Overlanding

Yes while running. No drips from what I see or feel. I'll try what you said Rovin. Its hella cold out so my fingertips are numb but I guess you have to do what you have to do.

I've been doing lots of research into fuel pumps on my off time and have found numerous generic pumps that can be used. I'm wondering if maybe I have choosen the wrong one. I took advice from another posting, and got napa part p74006, I believe that this pump is just a little weak or the strainer I bought is blocking a significant amount of fuel. I'm buying a ts7 strainer and a Master E3270 fuel pump. Before I do this I'm going to run those texts Rovin. I want to be sure I'm clamping the right line could you point me in the right direction of which ones exactly.

Also the fuel pressure does drop extremely fast after the first turning on of the pump, then after it starts it levels out around 20.

Last edited by masism; 01-03-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are/did you rebuild(ing) your old fuel pump or are you buying a brand new exact fit one?
I have the part numbers for a Airtex fuel pump that you can buy, it puts out 70psi and is $80 at AutoZone but you have to tear apart your fuel pump and then use this to rebuild it.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:36 PM
TReK

if it drops to 20 thats not bad. its when it drops all the way down you got a leak.

but while running you say 20, its possible you have a restriction or something wrong with the fuel pressure regulator but I would suspect the fuel pump or the filter more. its installed correctly with the arrow pointing towards the engine right?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Overlanding

The filter is the right way I did rebuild it, and I would like the airtex part number. I was thinking of getting the master e3270 pump. strainer ts7 I believe.

Quick Reply: 98 Discovery has a tough time accelerating