Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   '99 Discovery (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/99-discovery-24766/)

ChanchoVerde 09-03-2009 05:43 PM

'99 Discovery

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/1354158325.html

I'm looking at the Disco above. Seller says it started just fine last Sunday then wouldn't start on Monday. Also, Disco has no AC. Rig is in Dallas which is a 5 1/2 hour drive for me.

Got him down to $2,000 but is that too much for a Disco with 180,000 miles on the engine?

P.S. Has a good tranny.

Thanks for the help gents.

NiteTrain 09-03-2009 07:29 PM

I think $2k would be a fair price if the rover has no major problems besides the non-working a/c.

lipadj46 09-03-2009 08:44 PM

Probably just a crank position sensor no biggie. Now what do you mean by no AC? Has it been removed or just not working? If it is blowing hot air take a can of R134a with you to see if the refrigerant is just low. If the compressor is shot then a used one can be had for $150 on sale at Rover land parts at the moment.

I think 2k is a good price also I believe this DII has CDL which is great. It also has 16" wheels which is a plus. You are comfortable with the idea that your truck will need some work so pick up a CPS read the Rave CD on how to install it and head on over.

98roverguy 09-03-2009 09:03 PM

Gottah love texans - "might consider trade for firearms" ha!

Ya it seems like a decent deal @ $2K assuming no major issues. Either that or get him down to 1K with a smith & wesson.

ChanchoVerde 09-03-2009 10:28 PM

Haha! Nice 98.

ljdiscovery 09-03-2009 10:38 PM

Wow, seems like too much money for a nonrunning truck. There is a 2001 here in San Diego for $3800 with only 100k miles in nice shape. Having just rejuvenated a 2001 with 75 miles, you can very quickly drop $1000 or $2000. Replace the front driveshaft $250 -$300, plugs, wires, fluids, hoses, a tire or two, new headliner, even wipers... There are just too many nice Discoverys out there to get a dog. All the best. Phil

ChanchoVerde 09-03-2009 10:45 PM

Just sent him a long email with questions that I need answered before I commit. Scared to death that I will get down there and it will be something more than a fuel pump or CPS. Like I said before, I will be learning from the ground up.

I have worked on two cars in my entire life. Installed a new heater core in a truck that dropped a river in the passenger floorboard. I recently pulled my wife's MAF sensor from a 2000 Toyota 4 Runner and gave it a good cleaning. Problem solved and check engine light off.

Beyond that, I'm counting on my ability to follow directions on the RAVE CD and I'm also counting on a lot of help from you fine folks.

ljdiscovery 09-03-2009 11:07 PM

one other thing to consider, with that many miles, it has likely had the headgaskets done. I got my 2001 with 75k miles, headgaskets done, new plugs, wires, rear brakes and almost new front tires, paid $4k. HG will set you back a couple of grand.

ChanchoVerde 09-03-2009 11:29 PM

My budget for the vehicle purchase is 2K and I have another grand for any repairs that need to be done. I thought this Disco would be perfect for an inexpensive fixer upper.

So would I be better off waiting for a vehicle with lower miles?

ChanchoVerde 09-03-2009 11:33 PM

Sent him this email and here are his answers. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

I have a few questions for you in order for us to finalize this deal. Please answer each question to the best of your ability.

1. Is there any rust on the body or chassis of the Discovery? Not that I am aware of

2. The 1999 Discovery II was not fitted with greasable u-joints on the drive shaft. This can cause serious problems when it fails. Have you had the drive shaft replaced or rebuilt with greasable u-joints? I have replaced the front shaft

3. Have you had the AC serviced? Do you know exactly what the problem is ie. compressor, low on R134? Please give more details on the condition of the AC. Climate control wont turn on. I think the compressor is fine. It was working, blowing cold, then climate control unit just went dead.

4. Do you have the service records for all work performed on this vehicle? No

5. Is there any major mechanical issue other than "won't start" and "no AC" ? See list below

6. Please list any and all mechanical issues with this vehicle including electrical issues. Passenger rear door lock actuator doesn’t work. Rear subwoofer is broken, I do have the cover, I think. Cartridge for CD changer is missing. One of the ash/change trays wont open. A/C only blew on high when it worked. Never changed the shocks so those probably need to be redone. Radiator leaks a little, I usually top off the water once a week or so. Steering wobbled a little around 45 but clears up if you go faster or slower, could be tires need balanced or may need steering shock. Keyless entry works but the key fob I have is broken so you have to use the key to lock and unlock. I don’t think the horn works.

Please send me the VIN# so that I can run a history check on this Disco. I will mainly be looking for accidents. SALTY1240XA227147