Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to throw in the towel. More maddening coolant leaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About to throw in the towel. More maddening coolant leaks

I need a bit of help here if I may ask.
For the past month, my D2 has just developed one crippling coolant leak after another. I suspect something is up.
First the throttle body coolant plate leaked, bypassed it.
Then it blew a heater hose. Replaced.
Then it blew the upper radiator hose. Replaced.
Then the seals on the fairly new heater core began to leak into the floorboard. Replaced seals, and it quit leaking for almost a whole week.
It stranded me once again this weekend with fountains of coolant jetting out from under the top left corner of the fan shroud somewhere (I assume the radiator? I don't think there are any hoses under there)
I'm about to hand it ofer to the junk yard, but I'm curious to see what it's doing under there. Where the coolant is spewing from this time.
How do I get the fan shroud off to get a good look at it? I see two screws on top, but I can't see where the additional fasteners are.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm beyond curious about how this thing could be opening up one big coolant leak after another. Could the system be getting over-pressurized by a blown head gasket or cracked block?
It runs like a dream and there is no coolant in the oil or vice-versa.
What do you think?
Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Yelrut (08-14-2019)
Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

How old are the hoses on your truck? Are you running Dex-cool?
Under the shroud the only hose is the one that runs back to the overflow bottle. Small brittle plastic hose.

Fan shroud has 4 screws. All located on the top. 2 front 2 rear.

Get yourself a pressure tester and find out where the leak is coming from.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

"I'm beyond curious about how this thing could be opening up one big coolant leak after another. Could the system be getting over-pressurized by a blown head gasket or cracked block?" yes

Old 06-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

On the driver's side of the radiator is the plastic hose ralphobell mentioned. They are notorious for breaking on very old radiators. You should search the forum for fixes; I do seem to remember somebody figured out a DIY fix, but I could be wrong.

Head gasket/cracked sleeve is a possibility. Check your oil and coolant for milkshake appearance. If it looks clean, I'd service the cooling system.

The first thing to do is use a infrared thermometer to check radiator temps; I believe a 10 degree variance from top to bottom is too much and means a new radiator is needed.

Second, I'd replace any old hoses (and I personally replaced the idlers and tensioner after having a idler fail on the interstate with no warning).

Third is replace the radiator cap which can overpressurize the system.

Fourth is swap to the 180* thermostat.

Fifth is check the fan clutch.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 06-17-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even the youngest Discovery 2 is 10 years old now; the cooling components, like every other damn part on the truck, wears with time and use, and will need to be replaced. Its a pain to constantly be broken down on the side of the road, or underneath the hood on a weekly basis, but its in the truck's nature to give you ****. I would say to replace the remaining rubber hoses, then at least you won't have to worry about bursting those and overheating for the most part.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

replace the radiator cap and then pressure test your cooling system for additional leaks

Old 06-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
replace the radiator cap and then pressure test your cooling system for additional leaks
What he said

Old 06-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Drifting

Hey guys, thanks for the replies and advice.

The hoses appear nearly new, as well as the plastic tube. The fan clutch is also tight and appears to be functioning properly, though I'll replace that anyway for peace of mind. (Along with the cap and hoses)
I do use the proper Dex-cool orange coolant recommended for this vehicle.
When I removed the shroud, filled up the coolant, and fired it up it became immediately obvious the problem:
Name:  FB44FE0F-4AC9-43A7-BB97-A2AD595B0346_zpsmq05nqam.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  10FFCD28-A55D-48B2-A9B7-189A6D1812B2_zpsdggyzi8d.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  77.7 KB

It's spraying out from a hole in the back side of the radiator near the (drivers) side.

Here's the hole after shutoff:
Name:  44BAC772-5BEF-429C-A04B-C031417E4F0C_zpsqhdsozvg.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  86.4 KB

Now I'm wondering how a hole got punched in the radiator from the back side from under the shroud?? I would think it's from corrosion if there wasn't obvious physical damage.

The oil has no milkshake look, and doesn't look like it has coolant or water in it. No foam on it either.
Name:  C75CB5DA-A8C8-422F-AAD1-E4C8D73BA396_zpssukc7zgb.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  83.9 KB

Old 06-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Drifting

Mystery solved, perhaps.
This was laying in the bottom of the shroud.
Name:  CC5A946B-76F0-4885-9E0F-86B0A91F08FF_zpsqi127cae.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  109.7 KB

Could have fallen off and gotten kicked into the radiator by the fan.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Hmm, I wonder what caused that. It's hard to imagine that piece did so much damage.

In any case, that's bad luck.

BTW, Dexcool eventually turns to orange mud and clogs radiators and water passages. I suspect he's asking if you run Dexcool because clogging due to mud might explain overpressurization.

Here's more info.

While you have the radiator out, you should thoroughly flush and refill with green coolant.

Quick Reply: About to throw in the towel. More maddening coolant leaks