Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS MODULATOR FIX (NO more SVS fault)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i bought this car a few years ago, the dealer had removed the 3 amigo lights along with the check engine light. When it failed 1st inspection as the CEL should have been on (but wasn't) i knew something was "up"
I took the gauge apart and found the CEL to be missing, so i got another gauge from ebay, installed it, and the 3 amigos appeared. checked old gauge and found those missing too!.
I'm trying to sell the car now, so like a decent human bean...i'd like to have everything fixed before i do.
I have fixed almost all the problems it had. Yesterday i decided to try this fix.

It was very easy to do thanks to the great instructions. Obviously i went for option "B"
Took about an hour to do. The 3 small allen keyheads are a pain, but no big deal. I was able to break mine loose with a regular elcheapo allen wrench.
note: the screws had that feeling of "wrench chewing up slot" to start with, so i put a mirror under it to check the actual bolt was turning...and i was amazed to find it was!...cool!

Like others...block of 2x4 to hold the unit. abs unit felt like it would not move that height, but after removing the 3 small pipe clamps it moved high enough...just be gentle.

It really is an easy job!.
Great fix...A*....very impressed.
you are part of the "solution" for sharing

Old 01-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did option B and the codes are still there. Does this mean that I need a new shuttle valve. My Amigos had been on for a long time without ever shutting off.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Mudding

double check wiring connections you made, and make sure the ground spot you used is tight and CLEAN.
did you do the multimeter test?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Drifting

Yeah, I did all of that. I bit the bullet and ordered the Falconworks kit. I'm sick of screwing with it.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:49 PM
4wd Low

If i do option B do i need still bleed the brakes?
Also, after completing option B, do the lights just disappear or do they need to be cleared?

Old 02-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by bottleflipper
If i do option B do i need still bleed the brakes?
Also, after completing option B, do the lights just disappear or do they need to be cleared?
As long as you don't remove any brake lines you don't need to bleed the brakes.
The ABS lights (3 amigos) should clear when you start you Disco assuming you properly fix the issue. If at first they don't clear drive it around the block. When back in your driveway, turn it off and restart...they should now be cleared as long as the problem was corrected and you don't have a new issue. Otherwise, you may need to use the "ABS Amigo" tool or head to your local dealer or Indy shop to have them clear it.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Finished the "option B" fix today and it looks good! No lights on after stitching it all back up. This forum is amazing. Thanks for the advice and help. Thanks to "Bosshogt" for renting me his ABS Amigo reader at a low cost. Per his e-mail, he shipped it promptly...worked well. I'm returning it tomorrow if someone else wants to rent it from him!

I made my first run at this job two weeks ago. I didn't prop the ABS unit up high enough to get good access to the hex bolts on the SVS valve cover. Stitched it up and let it sit until I had some more time to work on it. Without a doubt, if you try this, use a 2x4! That extra clearance made all the difference (that an 4 mm socketed bit).

Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 AM
4th Gear
Default site locked?

AAhhhh
I just went to the instructions on landroverclubvi and received a message saying the site is password protected........
was hoping to do option B tonight......

Old 02-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jycsalas
Re-read the disclaimer section. I updated it just for you!

Can I use Hawkeye tool from AB http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/BA5070.cfm to read/reset those SLABS codes?

Thank you.

Last edited by d7sec; 02-17-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so once i get this all apart, for Option-B, IF the shuttle valve switch's DONT check out ok, because the brake fluid got to them and screwed them up, then im screwed and have to get that $130 kit from Falconworks? hopefully mine are ok. my rover is an 03 with 90k on it, the 3-amigos just popped on today.

i have the 3 amigos lights, plus the red "brake" light, the one that lights up when the e-brake is pulled, is that normal part of the 3-amigos?

Quick Reply: ABS MODULATOR FIX (NO more SVS fault)