Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS MODULATOR FIX (NO more SVS fault)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 land rover disco 2

love that abs mod repair great stuff should i check for loose connection first or just replace

Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Great write up. Thanks.
On another note. I just bought an ABS Amigo. If anyone wants to stop by I would read and reset your codes for you. I live on the North Shore of Boston (Manchester, MA)
I would not say no to a 6 pack of miller lite, but I would do it for nothing as well.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:27 PM
4wd Low

I completed the repair about two months ago and still no 3 amigos! Great post!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

All done! I did option b, use a 4mm nut driver bit and 1/4" wrench to remove screws as i had trouble with 4mm allen. Usually get the amigos within 6 miles of leaving the house if not right away. Have driven for 3 days with no lights. Put it through a few trials of offroading at a local sand pit to test TC, and HDC.

Thanks!!!!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Overlanding
Thumbs up Adios Three Amigos

Add me to the list of hopeful success stories. One week now after option B and no Three Amigos!!!! Getting the 3 allen screws out was the only pain. Use a 2x4 to lift and allow room to work and a very short allen key is your best bet to keep it turning without having to find the screw each small rotation. The job took me a few hours but that was taking it very slow (I am not a wrench by any means) slow and steady with a couple of cold ones and the laptop nearby.
Josh, many thanks to you for the excellent write-up. Saved me about $1100 for the shuttle valve rebuild. My independent LR shop is amazed. Of course they don't want the word to get out!

Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

For searching purposes:

Thank you Josh for detailed pictures and testing procedures. As mentioned in the D2 forum, my Amigos appeared intermittently. At first when they came on at start-up, they would turn off if I turned the engine off and cycled the key. They might remain off the rest of the day. Only once or twice did they appear while driving. After about a week of the intermittent Amigos, they became permanent. Every time I started the vehicle, they would appear instantly.

I pulled the shuttle valve switches one weekend, to test them using your specifications, and planned on doing your modification "B", assuming the they passed. The switches tested "open lead" regardless of one depressed, both, or none. Based on the good specifications on your writeup, I knew I had a bad switch set.

I had to put it back together and drive it with the Amigos for another week while I waited for the parts. The switches didn't appear to have gone bad due to brake fluid contamination, as there wasn't very much present on or under the boots, but I figured I would replace the seals while I had it apart for good measure. I ordered the seal kit, FW65 from Falconworks: Discovery shuttle valve seals & new style reaining clips and an OEM Wabco switch kit from WorldPac (cheaper to buy where I work).

The seal kit didn't come with instructions, and I thought they would be self-explanatory. Upon getting the ABS unit out of the vehicle, I realised I had no idea where the replacement seals went. In a panic, I called Falconworks and left a message (on a Sunday). They called me back within a few hours because an employee happened to go to work on his day off (awesome customer service!!!) I had only 20 minutes earlier found the instructions and pictures of the procedure on Message - AULRO Photo Gallery (you have to become a member to see the pictures)

I replaced the seals, and performed your "option B" wiring repair, because even though my circuit board tested good, and it was just the switches that failed, I didn't want to go through this ordeal in the future when the circuit board crapped out.

After the brakes were gravity bled, the brake pedal felt as good as ever, and NO MORE AMIGOS!!! HDC was tested extensively after the repair, and it worked perfectly.

After this repair, the only reason the Amigos may return is any one of four ABS senors, a modulator failure, or a failure on my repair skills

I have had to drive my Landy several times tonight just to see nothing lit up. Thanks again!!

Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Overlanding

great stuff,just bought my 2000 discovery have that prob and more codes# p0150 and 1590 replaced p/ side o2 no luck

Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM
3rd Gear

And for the proper power bleeding of the modulator and main lines see here

D2 ABS Modulator power bleed - Page 2 - Australian Land Rover Owners

Good info and schematics explain it al

Old 07-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

Instructions for replacing Shuttle Valve Seals!

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e-seals-41977/

Enjoy!

Any SVS SEALS related comments, please post on that thread so we can keep this one on the main topic. Thanks!

(lordmorpheus, I moved our posts out to that thread. I wasn't thinking too much when put the link up. lol)

Last edited by jycsalas; 07-01-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had givin all this info to my mechanic a while back when I had it in the shop... He was able to fix the abs and not even charge me for it because he said it was too easy.... Prior to him fixing it, I had the 3 amigos and had it narrowed down to the abs pump and some speed sensors.... obviosly we fixed the sensors but the abs pump was revived thanks to all this very handy info... Thanks for the great knowledge.... Easily saved a ton of money at the shop.... those abs pumps are expensive.... Have been running for 4 or 5 months now with no lights on my dash and everything is working the way its supposed to....

Quick Reply: ABS MODULATOR FIX (NO more SVS fault)