Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS MODULATOR FIX (NO more SVS fault)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mx468
Ok I tried to fix my abs doing the B option yesterday and as I was unscrewing my first hex bolt, it sheared right off, so now I need to remove the whole modulator, so be careful when unscrewing those damn hex bolts...
Then you were using the wrong size tool.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I have a Discovery II with 144,000 miles on it. I have replaced one of the wheel speed sensors before so I know about the 3 amigos. Replacing the sensor made them go off but now they have come back on. I hooked a OBDII up to it and got 3 codes P1884 (Engine friciton invalid, throttle position invalid, engine temp invalid, road speed invalid, engine torque invalid, engine speed invalid, engine air temp invalid, altitude shift control invalid, no reduced torque compensation) P1590(Abs rough road signal circuit malfunction hardware is ok but slabs ecu is sending an error signal) and P0102 Mass or volume air flow low input MAF signal < minimum threshold, which speed dependent. My question is could another speed sensor have gone out to throw these codes or is there a different code that is for speed sensor. Can you help me figure out what is the problem and how to go about fixing it. THanks

Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

You need an ABS Amigo to read the codes for the ABS modulator or other related issues. A regular OBDII reader will not access those codes.

Last edited by bosshogt; 02-20-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 AM
6th Gear

-eejuyyo

Old 02-20-2012, 09:36 PM
5th Gear

Josh, Awsome abs writeup. I have a 2000 d2 with the three amigos,but everything still seems to work..I'm going to do your fix including the seal kit.Seems as if it just makes sense to at least pull and clean up the shuttle valves (plungers) even if you don"t do the seals because if they can't be sticking in order to make the good switches work as they should.I know this means you need to pull the entire unit off,but doing the job once seems a surer bet. Again good job on the posts Josh. john

Old 02-21-2012, 02:38 PM
4wd Low
Default 3 amigos fix

I have had the three amigos off and on for about a year. Last time I took it to the dealer on another issue, I read the code faults and the code fault said it was "a ground fault, or "electrical fault" in the ABS. I cannot find the print out so this is from memory. Regardless instead of doing the wire fix as noted in your article I just replaced the the switch, as I thought that was the best way to go. No three amigos for about 1 week then they came on 2 times yesterday. Sorry for this question if it has been answered before but right now I am totally frustrated. My question do I need to have the original fault cleared in the computer with the scanner so they don't come on again or do I have another problem. It only took me half an hour to replace the switch and I got the ABS modulator shuttle valve switch from Atlantic British for $67. I am hoping that is the problem and if it is I can rent the scanner from someone on the board and clear the fault. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Abs modulator bleed question

Ok, I got myself a new used abs modulator for $35 and did the option b. I got new shuttle valve seals from falconworks and checked everything with my ohms meter and all checked out. I'm about to switch out the old abs modulator with the one I just converted, question is... can I bleed the brakes starting with rr, lr, fr, fl or do I need to do a different procedure because the new/used modulator I have now might have no brake fluid in it? Thanks...

Old 03-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Overlanding

I just completed Option B for the 2nd time because the first time when I did Option B (yesterday) the three amigos returned, I couldn't get anyone local to check my codes and clear the faults so I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes to clear all memories. I have reconnected the battery and started the engine and the three amigos are still there. What am I missing? I went exactly by the directions and even did the test and all three passed. HELP!!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:40 AM
dgh
Overlanding

Did you check the codes before you did the work?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Overlanding

I did get it scanned but I had the guys at the local AutoZone do it. Do I need to have a specific type of reader for the D2?

Quick Reply: ABS MODULATOR FIX (NO more SVS fault)