Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on reattaching the windshield side moldings?

Old 11-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Advice on reattaching the windshield side moldings?

Recently I had my windshield replaced on my 2003 Discovery under my insurance policy. I think the guys who came out to my house were Land Rover virgins, they seemed really puzzled. They removed the plastic side moldings and replaced the glass, lower and upper trim pieces without too much issue but they never got the side moldings back on correctly. I didn't notice it for a week or 2 and when I phoned them and complained they claimed the moldings were just old and brittle and not covered by my insurance for replacing the windshield.

So decided to try to refit them and I removed the 3 little plastic rivets that hold each one in place at the door frame only to find that the metal clips that connect the molding to the metal part of the window frame were not installed correctly, one was missing and one was broken off of the plastic molding part.

The LR dealer advised me that the metal clips should be attached to the plastic molding parts before installing but for the life of me I can't seem to get the molding pieces fit in place and snap the metal clips into the frame so that the holes line up for to be re-riveted in the door frame.

Has anyone successfully removed and reattached these parts? I could sure use some advice. If I can't get the remaining clips to fit in properly I am tempted to just use black RTV or Butyl cement to adhere them to the glass and then rivet the door jam side back in place.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, a real challenge.

My windshield was replaced at home so I could get rid of some surface rust and I kept the side molding installation to myself because I did'nt trust them. I think it took me more time to figure the job than doing it.

I had the autoglass guys furnish 6 new plastic pins because once the inner pin is pushed thru to remove it, it is lost.

What I did:

1- I positionned the moulding at rear against the door frame (where you put the plastic pins) then rotate the front end around the pillar toward the windshield
2- Then I pulled forward like hell the front of the moulding, using my fingers between the glass and the rubber sill to pry
3- When I felt the moulding was forward enough and the plastic tongues would clear the top of the metal clips, I flipped it more toward the glass, to ensure the 3 plastic tongues are aligned and would engage in the metal clips. In fact I could engage them only one at a time, starting with the bottom one. Boy it was hard.
4- When a tongue would be engaged in a metal clip but not all the way through, I hammered the round face of the moulding with my palm to push it in deeper.
5- Then the plastic pins can be easily installed.

Sorry if it seems complicated but it was the surest way for me to get it done without breaking anything. Those guys would not have done better. They admitted that every Disco they did was a difficult job !!

Good luck.

Franky

Old 11-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, that all makes sense but I probably wasn't putting enough muscle into it when I did it. I will try the passenger side first as my driver's side has the ARB snorkel which is detached from the door frame but doesn't budge very far; I'm hoping I don't have to remove it.

Did you have the metal clips on the molding or on the window frame before you mounted it?

Old 11-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried putting the metallic clip on the side mouldings first but I figured they would need too much force to get pushed in. I was afraid I would have to smash the moulding to push them in.

When they removed the mouldings, the clips were left on the truck, so I figured they should be there first.

It worked for me.

Franky

The following users liked this post:
Onejoe (06-16-2023)