Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS, TC, & Hill Descent!-> Orange lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ABS, TC, & Hill Descent!-> Orange lights

Thanks for the response. I purchased this D2 in '04, so I'm not sure what brand of brake pads are on it. I called the dealership and have it scheduled to be put on the computer to pull the codes. They are confident that the Hub Assembly will need to be replaced as this is the root cause of the sensor malfunction. Your thoughts?

mike

Old 10-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, so I picked my car up from the dealer, and they told me that they picked up a code referring to the three lights. Codes "13,4 11,4 Cleared and did not return." They said if it were to come on again, then they feel as if it's the "Shuttle Valve", and that's the issue.

Everything seemed to be well. New rotors looked great and the brake control has drastically improved. However about a mile from my exit off the highway, all three lights came back on. Damnit...

So I called my service writer back up, who told me that I have to bring the car in again, so they can run a test on it for about an hour. I'm over 60 miles from the dealer in Roanoke, then the writer has the nerve to tell me, "Well the Land Rover is a high-line vehicle, and that's just part of owning one."

Honestly... why is it so hard to figure this out? Dealer had the car for 3 days, and no result except for "Possible voltage signal glitch cause of faults as 13, 4 in no eng. signal input."

Well I'm glad I was told that in the first place before I bought the car. Ok... enough ranting, I still love my Disco and here's a pic of my new rotors.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4040/672439C8CFD944139F828D228F838C75.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-12-2006, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

I have an '01 discovery and I recently experienced the same problem. Only along with mine, it wouldn't stop correctly as if I was driving on ice. I parked and the car stayed off for about 1/2 hr and then has not done it in the last 2 days. I called the dealer and was told to wait until the 31 st of October for an appointment. I am afraid to drive the vehicle like that and I am new to the area. Does anyone know of a mechanic that specializes in Rovers in North Miami Beach, FL
ORIGINAL: angasreid

I've got a 2004 Disco II, and first Disco I've ever owned. Car has 35,000 miles on it and randomly these lights will come on while driving. My dealer here in Ronoake said that those three lights means the brake rotors and pads need to be replaced. The dealer I used to deal with in Va Beach, said it was something more along the lines of a wheel speed sensor, and that they would need to hook the car up to a computer to figure it out exactly.

Anybody else every experience this problem?

-Angas Reid

[IMG]local://upfiles/4040/276B23242AE04E08A248B2F5C728C476.jpg[/IMG]
?

Old 10-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Overlanding

I have had the same problem on a 99 disco. Brought it to the dealer and they told me the modulator valve was throwing a code and suggested one of three things. 1 power bleed. Not sure what this means as this system does not power bleed. You can apply a vacuum based bleeder to the calibers and if you do it according to the order in the book you can bleed the brakes down. But I don't know why a clog in the system would get there in the first place. It would seem they would place screening in areas wher it could collect contamination to ensure that the brakes are more reliable. 2. replace this valve this seemed interesting and told me that some how the dealers rebuild these units. So I will eventually take mine apart as the dealer is not very reputable in my area and has received a number of complaints. 3. replace the wabco a very reliable part when used in applications other than rover. In the 18 wheelers and commercial trucking industry they are good units. On this vehicle, they are nothing but conversation on every forum.

This vehicle is at the top of the list for needing most repairs which means a dealer trip must be made well in advance at least two weeks at mine and then plan on qetting it back in a couple of days not repaired just estimated. Last time in they broke my dash cover and said it was my fault obviously I won't be back. Repairs have sometimes taken two weeks.

I think the answer most people are looking for is what can they do at home. You can bleed the brakes. I would guess you could still read the codes like the old models by the blink code method as the unit that is in the vehicle still has this capability but for 99 on
nobody seems to know how to do it. You could replace sensors as they do not force you to buy the hub anymore. You could test at least the connectivily of the sensor. It should not be open. It does require a pulse once in motion something you cannot test.
I do not know what kind of signal is needed from the modulator and an which wire. Obviously bad connections to the modulator could
be checked.

Does any one know if the faults are permanent meaning if the problem is fixed you still need to bring it to the dealer to get reset.
I was under the impression that if you fix the fault it would reset the code and turn off the lights but I am not sure.

Hope this helps --- Any other thoughts.