Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC blowing warm on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC blowing warm on passenger side

On the Drivers side the AC blows cold without any issued, but the passenger side is warm and never seems to cool off no matter what setting it is on.

Any suggestions as to where i should begin to diagnose?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a blend door problem.

I'd start going through Rave and read up on the system function and how to test it.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Sounds like a blend door problem.

I'd start going through Rave and read up on the system function and how to test it.
Searched for Blend Door, but haven't found anything in the rave that matches it or my problem as of yet. Would it even be possible for the charge to be going bad, but only affecting one side of the system? Even the rear air is blowing cold as can be without a hiccup?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Winching

Sorry, I used the wrong (non-LR) terminology. Page 1162 (80-5) shows you where the doors are. You basically want to check that the RH, LH and distribution control cables are working (moving). Those move the blend doors, or whatever LR calls them.

Sounds like the RH cable may be bound up, or the servo that moves it is bad, or the blend door it moves is stuck on something.

The AC can't only go to one side from a charge perspective, as there is only one evaporator coil (the thing that gets cold and the air blows through).

I've put arrows on the things I think are most likely to be a problem for you:

Those pictures are both right hand drive and without air conditioning (yeah, it can't get any further from yours unless it was another vehicle...sorry). But they are close, and will get you looking at the correct things.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Sorry, I used the wrong (non-LR) terminology. Page 1162 (80-5) shows you where the doors are. You basically want to check that the RH, LH and distribution control cables are working (moving). Those move the blend doors, or whatever LR calls them.

Sounds like the RH cable may be bound up, or the servo that moves it is bad, or the blend door it moves is stuck on something.

The AC can't only go to one side from a charge perspective, as there is only one evaporator coil (the thing that gets cold and the air blows through).

I've put arrows on the things I think are most likely to be a problem for you:

Those pictures are both right hand drive and without air conditioning (yeah, it can't get any further from yours unless it was another vehicle...sorry). But they are close, and will get you looking at the correct things.
Much appreciated, now i know what i need to start inspecting and trying.

many thanks

Old 06-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Ran diagnostics and had fault code 21-22 which is the sunlight sensor, so now i am stumped again.any suggestions? Also, This morning i am out trying to figure this thing out and both sides are blowing ice cold. Could it be that due to it being 110+ all darn day that the truck itself and the componenets get so hot it just takes longer to get the system cooled?

Last edited by FightOnUSC79; 06-30-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: EDIT
Old 06-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by FightOnUSC79
Ran diagnostics and had fault code 21-22 which is the sunlight sensor, so now i am stumped again.any suggestions? Also, This morning i am out trying to figure this thing out and both sides are blowing ice cold. Could it be that due to it being 110+ all darn day that the truck itself and the componenets get so hot it just takes longer to get the system cooled?
Oh crap...yeah. The sunlight sensor can actually adjust from side to side (supposedly if it's sunny on one side and not the other). 21 and 22 are "no input" from the LH and RH diode in there. That's going to be connected to the ATC ECU, which is the one below the radio. If you're lucky, maybe reseating connectors will help. I'd suspect replacing the light sensor would be next, but I'm not sure how common it would be for both diodes to go bad at once (which is why there are separate fault codes). Hopefully you can find a wiring issue, which is what I would guess this is going to come down to.