Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   ACE system leaking bad... (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/ace-system-leaking-bad-30618/)

greenwade 04-22-2010 11:01 PM

ACE system leaking bad...

So i seem to have a serious leak in my ACE system. I have looked over all the hoses and such and cannot find a visually obvious problem with any of them. It is leaking enough that i have to add fluid every other day or so, and it seems to leak even when the rover has sat for a couple of days. Is there a common place for these to leak? I know that it is not from the fluid tank or the hose connections that lead from it. I have tried putting a bottle of lucas power steering leak stop in it and that does not seem to be helping very much. Any help that you can give me would be great.

greenwade 04-24-2010 10:05 PM

bumpity bump bump bump

Disco Mike 04-25-2010 07:36 AM

It takes less then 5 minutes to crawl under and check the pump, hoses, pipes to the front and back actuators and the control unit. Go check and find them cause if you are leaking that much it will show up like a major leak.
When you find it get back to us and let us know where it is leaking so we can help you.

greenwade 04-25-2010 01:22 PM

I have spent hours under that pig trying to find it mike. I was wondering if there was a common leak spot from the ACE system. I am wondering if i could have messed something up when i was replacing my PAS pump the last two times.

Disco Mike 04-25-2010 04:53 PM

That quote "PIG" you are complaining about only has a couple spots that can be leaking fluid from. If you can't find a fairly large, by your description, leak that should be covering the entire bottom of the truck then I would suggest a good mechanic.

greenwade 04-25-2010 05:40 PM

Thanks for the help mike.

PalmettoDisco 04-26-2010 11:20 PM

A cut & paste from my response to an ACE question several months ago:

"As for the dry reservoir and oil leaking, a known issue. There was a TSB issued for a known leaking problem. Check under the air inlet tube going to the intake. Take loose the tube and lift up and check for fluid all over it's bottom and the ACE pump below. If so, the banjo bolt on the top right of the ACE pump is leaking.

This is a known issue from the factory, where this bolt is not torqued properly.The official fix is to simply tighten the bolt to spec and check for leaks. If no leaks, that's it. If it leaks, replace the two brass washers(gaskets) sealing the banjo bolt and re-torque/check for leaks.

I think the banjo bolt is 13mm. Very, very, very easy to get to after the air inlet tube is out of the way. Be careful not to over-tighten and deform the brass washers. As I recall, it was something like 12-15 in-lbs?"

greenwade 04-27-2010 12:48 PM

Thats the one that the fluid passes out of the high pressure side of the pump? cus i am sure that i tightened that WAYY more than that.... so i should try some new brass washers i would think. Might even bite the bullet and get them from the stealership.

Disco Mike 04-27-2010 01:46 PM

Is it leaking from there though, if not don't mess with them.
Have you power scrubbed the entire engine and under carriage to be able to find this leak?

greenwade 04-27-2010 02:41 PM

I just got done cleaning off the pump area and hoses really well. I then wrapped them with clean rags. Hopefully this will let me know where the leak is. That is unless it is further down the line. Thanks for the heads up mike. I was just going to replace them and see if that fixed it, but i will check first.