Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a kill switch

Old 03-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Adding a kill switch

I think a kill switch would be a great theft deterrent and relatively easy to do. Not a fan of those remote start/security systems like Viper...

So far my idea is to simply put a switch inline with either of the leads coming out of the inertia switch, and tuck the switch somewhere in the cab (It's a secret ). Looking at the manual, it appears that: inertia switch circuit closed = vehicle can start. What I'm a little uncertain on is the way the car behaves when that circuit is open. Obviously you can't start the car, but the manual also mentions something about flashing hazards and unlocking all doors. Is this the best place to put the switch?

Another option is the fuel pump, which would allow the car to start, and die shortly thereafter, the idea being it would leave the thief stranded in the open and more likely to abandon it. But I don't know where that wire is so I'd have to hunt it down

Or is the built-in immobilizer good enough to not warrant a kill switch? However, immobilizer can't save you if the thief gets a hold of your keys

Old 03-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

No one steals discos only defenders

Old 03-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I personally just remove the fuel pump relay if I ever park my LR somewhere I don’t fully trust. Common thief isn’t going to take the time to pop the hood and investigate lol.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:56 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

in the days of distributors and mechanical ignition, i used to put an inline switch on the 12v supply to the coil. i don't know if that would interfere with all the programmed electronics though. interrupting the path between fuse 10 and the fuel pump relay would be a nice approach but i think that connection will be on a circuit board inside the engine compartment fusebox.
the d2 electrical library confirms that all the doors will unlock and it will not be possible to lock them again when the alarm is disarmed and the ignition is turned on if the inertia switch is tripped (or a security switch on that line was open). neither the electrical library nor the rave say what will happen if the switch is tripped while the doors are locked or the ignition is turned off.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

You could do a battery kill switch, no?

Old 03-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

What about a switch opening the path to the starter wire

But like I said no one is stealing any discos lol

Old 03-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Use a cigarette lighter. Push in the lighter and you have continuity wired to the start circuit. When you park it, pull the lighter out. Rover dont start.

Old forgotten trick.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Many ways to do it...
One I like is a push-on push-off switch under (not trough) the driver carpet upper corner, sort of old high/low beam switches.

The original made in Israel in the seventies was a mechanical plunger under the carpet, trough the body floor, push-to-close the fuel line. Older carbureted engines would continue to run until the carburetor depletes, stopping the vehicle in the middle of the way a few blocks away. Worked also at gun point carjacking. Step on the button while exiting and surrender the vehicle. Was reset only with a key on the plunger top.
Not good for fuel injected.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
You could do a battery kill switch, no?

Then you’d have no alarm.
I’ve always toyed with the idea of a hidden cut off switch to the fuel pump relay. But like Best4x4 stated, removing the fuel pump relay would be much easier.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

How about a 4pdt switch? Cut off all the leads to fuel relay with one flick or stomp of a switch?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding a kill switch