Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adding rear air

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 12:51 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default adding rear air

I looked at a disco yesterday that had the rear jump seats but not rear air. Has anybody ever added rear air to their disco? If so how much trouble was it?

Old 05-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: adding rear air

What year?

As for how much trouble, that's subjective. More expense than trouble in my op. Clearly sourcing parts from dealer will be more expensive than salvage but still expensive. This is a bit of an oversimplification but the basics are new headliner W/ ducting and switch, rear ac guts and housing, refrigerant lines, possible wiring. If DIsco I new climate control "bezel" W/ rear A/C switch (if I remember correctly it is an integrated switch not an add-in in an existing blank) Disco IIs don't have the switch up front. It will also move the left rear seat over, not sure if the floor blank is in place on all SE7s for relocation due to rear air. If not, that's going to be your major snag if it's a disco II. Guess you could always have an SE6.

Ducting is also different on Is and IIs. On the ones it runs through a "chamber" in the alpine window and then it gets all cloudy and crappy, they fixed this in the IIs but if it's a I then you'll need the piece that tuens the alpine window into a duct as well.

I think all the wiring should already be in place for the A/C to plug in as I know for a fact the only variation in Disco II chassis harnesses is for vehicles W/WO ACE and/or SLS. Whether or not the rear A/C comes off the Chassis Harness in another story.

If you're looking to buy and want the rear A/C I would def suggest waiting for one with it from the factory.

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't rear A/C also available as a dealer installed item on Disco Is?

Hope that helps.

-T-

Old 05-17-2008, 01:47 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tee, thanks for the reply. It was a '99 DII. It just seems impossible to find a used one with every option you want in good condition at a fair price. I guess I could do without rear air, I mainly wanted it for when my dog rides in the back..she's an indoor dog and has become accustom to A/C.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know exactly what you mean, I've got three of them and it's exactly the reason for my rear air. For what it's worth my DI had rear air and even with the rear air it got pretty hot back there but it didn't have privacy glass. When I got my first DII I wanted everything and rear air except no rear seats and at the time there literally wasn't one on the lot anywhere in the SE... so no rear air for me. It did have the privacy glass and it seems like the A/C was upgraded on the DIIs (by '01 at least) so with the privacy glass and the better A/C it really did stay pretty comfortable back there without the rear A/C. The only thing is it did take forever to get it cool back there so this time around I'm back to rear A/C.

You could always keep an eye out and start sourcing all the parts little by little then add it once you've got everything. The good thing is these aren't the typical parts the yards sell so you may be able to get a good deal especially if you can find one that'll still let you in the yard to grab stuff yourself.