Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding rear air

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding rear air

How hard is it to add rear air conditioning to a D2? It gets pretty hot back there in the summer and I can get all the parts for a good price but I don't know how much work it requires. Has anyone done this or thought about doing it?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

I added rear 3rd row seats to my Disco. Thought about adding rear A/C. Needed rear panels for the A/C vent, rear fan, controls, etc. It was alot more work than I was willing to take on at the time. The rear seat installation was already taking too much time and I decided to forgo A/C.

The kids never actually complained about the lack of cooling in the back.

Good luck on the project if you decide to take it on. Would love to see pics.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I would love to have the rear a/c for no other reason than to just help cool down the truck faster. If you have all the parts the hardest part might be running the lines and removing the headliner.

From the RAVE:

The rear air conditioning system cools and recirculates air at the rear of the cabin. The system consists of refrigerant lines, a rear evaporator/blower assembly, a distribution system and a control panel.

Cooled air from the rear evaporator/blower assembly is supplied by the distribution system to vent outlets above each second and third row seat. The system is controlled by two switches on the control panel.

Refrigerant lines
Two refrigerant lines connect the rear evaporator/blower assembly to the front A/C refrigerant system. The lines are routed along the LH underside of the vehicle and secured to a connector block in the floor. A heat shield protects the lines where they pass above the rear silencer.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked into doing it for my brothers 2004. Its a huge job, you could probably do it though if you had the resources. My brother still is considering it though as he has another kid coming along.

Replacing the rear drivers side fender/trim/plasticthing, wiring for the blower motor, running AC lines, maybe you could cut your own headliner, the vents, and the routing of the tubing.

Last edited by Dane!; 04-29-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it can be done but it would be quite a process

Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, I wish my DII did not have the rear AC. I rarely use any AC. Just added weight and something else to go wrong for me. If it was easy - I'd remove and sell.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience of the rear A/C systems is that when the rear A/C is on, it simply reduces the amount of cooling available from the front A/C accordingly. You still have the same A/C compressor and condensor.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have it and I think it works great. I wouldn't want to try to add it to a Disco if it didn't come with it from the factory. Might be cheaper to sell your Disco and buy another that has it.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the one thing LR did right on a DII was put the rear ac switches where the driver can still reach them.