Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Aftermarket black aluminum wheels? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/aftermarket-black-aluminum-wheels-45357/)

grandkodiak 11-22-2011 04:16 PM

Aftermarket black aluminum wheels?

Anyone have any suggestions or pics? I've decided against the LR black steelies, to heavy ;) but i love the black on black look, but im not gunna spray paint mine haha

yloDiscoII 11-22-2011 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by grandkodiak (Post 282356)
Anyone have any suggestions or pics? I've decided against the LR black steelies, to heavy ;) but i love the black on black look, but im not gunna spray paint mine haha

If you're "too good" for rattle can;), you could always have yours powder coated or professionally painted?

grandkodiak 11-22-2011 05:01 PM

Hmm forgot about powder coat.... that last? any idea on cost (roughly)?

yloDiscoII 11-22-2011 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a quote once to sandblast and powdercoat for $50/Wheel, with a disclaimer noting that if they needed more blasting time than "usual" (due to layers of paint, or extra rust), then it would have been more $$$.

Not sure about professionally painted, but probably roughly the same depending on your specifications.

I know you said you do NOT want to do it, but I rattle-canned mine, and I'm very happy with it....although I'm probably most happy that it cost $30 rather than $200+;) Still holding up after 1.5 years.
Attachment 44142

Al Blue4.6l 11-22-2011 05:46 PM

$50/wheel isnt a bad deal for sandblasting and powdercoating.

I do my own - it can be a bit of a pain in the butt and the materials arent super cheap.

yloDiscoII 11-22-2011 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by grandkodiak (Post 282365)
Hmm forgot about powder coat.... that last? ....

Forgot to answer this question...it should be more durable than normal paint, BUT if you do get a chip or something, then you're stuck re-doing the whole process over, which is why I ended up going with Rustoleum High Performance Wheel Paint....although I have yet to have to "touch up" anything other than wheel balancing weights.

Al Blue4.6l 11-22-2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII (Post 282375)
Forgot to answer this question...it should be more durable than normal paint, BUT if you do get a chip or something, then you're stuck re-doing the whole process over, which is why I ended up going with Rustoleum High Performance Wheel Paint....although I have yet to have to "touch up" anything other than wheel balancing weights.

it is much, much harder to chip than regular paint.

and you can still touch it up with regular paint if you need to - shouldnt be too hard with black paint.

DonRW2007 11-22-2011 09:46 PM

How to prep?

Would love to have black wheels. I believe it's all in the preparation. Did everyone have their wheels sandblasted prior to painting?

yloDiscoII 11-22-2011 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by DonRW2007 (Post 282438)
Would love to have black wheels. I believe it's all in the preparation. Did everyone have their wheels sandblasted prior to painting?

1. Scuffed/Sanded
2. Self-Etching Primer
3. Primer
4. Paint
5. Clear Coat

handsome rob 11-23-2011 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by grandkodiak (Post 282365)
Hmm forgot about powder coat.... that last? any idea on cost (roughly)?

My local guy does them sandblasted and coated for $25 per wheel, which is a great deal. It is a lot of work in my opinion to paint them yourself, I beleive YloDisco is much better than I am.