Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Aftermarket Stereo (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/aftermarket-stereo-8009/)

Icecold 07-31-2007 12:47 AM

Aftermarket Stereo

Hello all, finally making my first post. Been through and through the forums the past couple of months, and I'm finally able to make a post while at work. Anyways, hopefully I can get a few questions answered. I can't seem to find my factory amp. I have a 2000 LR Discovery Series II, by the way. I've looked under both front seats...nothing. I've looked under the glove box...nothing. Where else could it be? With that being said...

I want to upgrade to an aftermarket head unit, but I'm so confused. I've found a few harnesses, but I'm not sure which one I need. The "amplified radio harness" or the "car stereo wire harness". I've provided the links to both here:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=9790
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=1474

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to upgrade to aftermarket HU as well as installing an aftermarket amp, with 2 12" subs in the trunk. HELP!!!

Roddy 07-31-2007 07:23 PM

RE: Aftermarket Stereo

Hey...I am having a similar problem with my 2002 Discovery. It has the antiquated navigation stereo and it keeps going out. I am looking for a compatible aftermarket stereo...I had the dealership fix it last time, but those guys are getting $95.00 per hour. I will let you know, should I come into harness issues and what I find. Good luck...
Roddy

Landzu 07-31-2007 08:58 PM

Look here they have stereos with navigation systems.

www.crutchfield.com

Icecold 07-31-2007 10:15 PM

I loooove crutchfield, but they have nothing for the LR Discovery...
I use it for my Honda, but if you go onto crutchfield and you enter LR Discovery information, it will give you nothing but a K&N drop in filter or something like that.

So bumpity bump...

SpeedAgent 08-01-2007 06:40 AM

I'd like to hear the results of this as I am also curious about installing an aftermarket stereo. Maybe this needs to be posted on a car stereo specific forum.

Landzu 08-01-2007 07:41 AM

I found more than afew things for Land Rovers .
In dash DVD players, Indash GPS nav systems with stereos.
Just put in make and model of your LR and go.
I don't know why you had problems.

SpeedAgent 08-01-2007 09:06 AM

I think he means that everything on Crutchfield for Discos says "Not a direct fit", meaning that it requires additional installation parts that Crutchfield does not sell. I have had a hard time finding a head unit that properly fits and/or a kit that helps the HU fit without looking rediculous. If someone has a solution or knows of some parts please post them.

Landzu 08-01-2007 09:53 AM

OOOOOOOOOOO ,

Icecold 08-01-2007 04:57 PM

Exactly SpeedAgent. I can find the car stereo I want just about anywhere, but as far as wiring harnesses go. I even have the key I need to take out the factory stereo, and the ugly trim piece that you need to fill that half din that's left when you switch to a din sized HU...I'm about to just say forget about it and have the local car audio shop install my whole sound system for their "arm and a leg" price.

okdiscoguy 08-01-2007 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Icecold

Exactly SpeedAgent. I can find the car stereo I want just about anywhere, but as far as wiring harnesses go. I even have the key I need to take out the factory stereo, and the ugly trim piece that you need to fill that half din that's left when you switch to a din sized HU...I'm about to just say forget about it and have the local car audio shop install my whole sound system for their "arm and a leg" price.
If you have the key, pull it out. IF you have one big connector and no am, get the bottom one. If you have 2 smaller connectors andan amp, get the top one and plug it into your pre-amp outputs.

Just looked it up in the electrical book. Base nd mid-line do not have amplifiers. High line units have amps under the LH seat. How many speaker do you have?

base- 4 30W speakers, one in each door.
mid - same thing + 2 high line speaker in the A pillars
High-
A high range speaker located in each ’A’ post trim
A low and mid range speaker located in the front doors
A low and a high range speaker located in the rear doors
Low range speakers located in a housing on the tail door
An AM/FM aerial mounted on the RH rear side window and an FM aerial
mounted on the LH side window. The LH aerial is used for improved FM
reception in urban areas.

get a rave cd from rover-renovations.com It's free...