Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Bags>Coil Springs Conversion???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bags>Coil Springs Conversion???

My 2001 Disco II has some issues with the rear air suspension, and I believe it may be the "pump" (or whatever it is called). The previous owner has the supply lines spliced with an air valve and a shut off valve on either side so I just "pump it up" every few weeks . I bought the truck knowing this so I am debating on wether or not to replace/fix the air suspension or replace it with a coil conversion.

Can anyone give me some insight on this? Have you done this before?...pros, cons, opinions, suggestions?

I am new to Land Rovers, but I am very capable of doing most any work myself. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-10-2010, 07:03 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pros: not that expensive, $220 with all hardware shipped on ebay, durable, will probably last the life of the truck

cons: doesn't ride as well as airbags

Old 09-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Overlanding
Arrow another question

has anyone done the conversion that could let me know if the ride is that much worse? what about you nitetrain?

are the air bag systems usually problematic on these trucks?...trying to weigh out my options

Thanks

Old 09-11-2010, 12:44 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't did the conversion yet but will be doing it soon. All airbags will eventually fail but they seem to last a long time, maybe 60-70k miles. I just don't want to deal with the other one going out..or the air pump..or ride sensors..if a good ride is worth a lot of money to you then go back with new airbags.

edit: find a used car dealer in your area with a discovery that has springs in the rear (was a factory option on some) and take a test drive..see how it rides.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Overlanding

used car dealer is a good idea, thanks.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 PM
wrp
Drifting

I did the SLS air bag conversion to coils a few months ago, using the AB kit. I don't notice any difference in ride. I just made a 300 mile trip pulling a 5' x 8' U-haul trailer with no problems. And I simply removed the compressor fuse, and did not have the SLABS set for no-SLS, and I don't have any instrument warning lights on. (I also replaced the rear pads, rotors, and calipers at the same time as the coils.)

Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Rock Crawling

For what it's worth my 04 Disco II rides real nice with the coils and I don't have to worry about another system failing. It was nice when shopping for the truck to look under and see I wasn't going to be dealing with bags and after a few test drives the difference wasn't something that I couldn't live without by having bags.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Overlanding
Default Thanks

Thanks wrp and usc, good to know...

Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 AM
4th Gear

My black disco is about to get its butt lifted too. 110,000 miles and this would be the third set of air bags. I am planning on replacing with springs and never having this issue again.

One thing to keep in mind though. From what I have read, if your disco has the ACE system you can not do the change. If your not sure if yours has ACE an easy way to tell is to open the hood and look at your power steering fluid container. If you have two caps, you have ACE.

Rovers North offers a conversion kit for about $300 plus freight. I am sure lots of others do as well.

Last edited by TbarD; 09-13-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: mistake! I meant PS not Brake resevoir!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TbarD
M
One thing to keep in mind though. From what I have read, if your disco has the ACE system you can not do the change. If your not sure if yours has ACE an easy way to tell is to open the hood and look at your brake fluid container. If you have two caps, you have ACE.
Can this statement be verified?
I'm currently saving to convert to coils and have ACE...tad off topic but i've been told ACE is verfired by the split reservior with 2 caps being ace and power steering (see tank with 2 caps at bottom of attached pic)

Attached Thumbnails Air Bags>Coil Springs Conversion???-img_5283.jpg  

Quick Reply: Air Bags>Coil Springs Conversion???