Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air spring/suspension issue - opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:58 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air spring/suspension issue - opinions wanted

I use my 99 disco ii as a 3rd car so it stays parked for most week days but does get some use on the weekend. Every other week or so the passenger side, rear air spring dumps all it's air.
This seams to happen in the middle of the night and all at once. It does not get lower and lower progressively over a week. It will just be dumped when i walk into the garage. It is pretty sporadic and never happens while driving. It appears to only be the passenger side though the driver side does lower about halfway. I attributed that to having to carry all the rear vehicle weight when the passenger side loses its air. As soon as you turn the vehicle on, the rear begins to fill back up with air and comes up to its normal ride height. It will remain inflated until one day it will be back down again.

My questions....

Does it sound like an air spring problem or some sort of valve issue? Is there any sure way to test? I don't mind replacing the air springs but i don't want to then find out that i needed new valves or some other component.
Am i fighting an uphill battle with a 10 year old car? Is it easier to just replace the air ride stuff with coil springs and some new struts?
If i just replace the air suspension with regular coil springs, would i have to disable the air ride stuff? (pump, valves, sensors, etc) Am i going to get any weird check engine lights because the car will think the air ride stuff is broke?

Let me know what you would do and why.

Thanks
arrrrr

PS I really can't lift the suspension much and still fit through my garage door so please hold off on all the comments about how i should just jack it up 3" or 4" 's.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally I would keep the air, but its down to the individual......

It does sound like an Airspring issue to me, How old are they ? I personally feel they should be replaced every 5 years as a service item....

And yes if you go to coils, the ECU needs to be "told" its not on Air anymore to get rid of the christmas tree of lights on the dash.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the heads up on the check lights if i switch to coil springs. That's what i thought would happen.

Do you know if there are any weird bleeding procedures for the air bags. Seems like they should just drop in and go but i would hate to buy them and then find out that there is some weird procedure to prime the system or something.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

How many miles on your truck, have the bags been replaced yet.
You have on e of 2 problems, a bag that is starting to fail and or a electrical issue thru the ECU that will take a mechanic with the appropriate scanner to read the SLS codes for a repair.
If you want more help, send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by SALTY_Pirate
Do you know if there are any weird bleeding procedures for the air bags. Seems like they should just drop in and go but i would hate to buy them and then find out that there is some weird procedure to prime the system or something.
Not bleeding, but every reference I have seen says that you must reset *something* in the SLABS box after replacing bags, yes, using either Testbook, or the moral equivalent (base OBDs won't work, Hawkeye's *probably* will, Autologics also, and the Faultmate is a definite maybe).

Old 12-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How can you bleed Air from an Air operated system ?????

No diagnostic tool or bleed procedure etc etc at all needed when replacing the airbags, its old out and new in, simple as that, takes 30 mins MAX a side.

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Rear%20Air%20Springs.html

Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Administrator

If it is the bags, and till he knows, I think it is still 50/50, could be the bags starting to fail but slightly better chance it will be in the ECU.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9268D2ABP.cfm
Do this, it is a DIY job and you will be done with it.
One Sat and your problem will be gone forever.
Another $100 and the dealer will turn off the SLS system, but until then you cna still drive your truck but you may get a SLS warning lamp once and awhile.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:26 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
How many miles on your truck, have the bags been replaced yet.
You have on e of 2 problems, a bag that is starting to fail and or a electrical issue thru the ECU that will take a mechanic with the appropriate scanner to read the SLS codes for a repair.
If you want more help, send me your number and I'll call you.
Mike,
It has 108,000 miles. I do not know if they have ever been replaced. I bought it used. What is the possible ECU problem? Do you mean that the ECU is telling the bag to deflate? Just curious.
In my neck of the woods we have a couple of Rover repair shops other then the dealership. Would this type of diagnosis be a good one for one of those other repair shops?

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
How can you bleed Air from an Air operated system ?????

No diagnostic tool or bleed procedure etc etc at all needed when replacing the airbags, its old out and new in, simple as that, takes 30 mins MAX a side.

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Rear%20Air%20Springs.html
Panzer,
Good to know. Thank you for the link to that article. I'm not nervous at all about the install i just don't want to buy the bags, install them and walk out tomorrow and find the suspension dropped.
I think i will raise it up and try the soapy water trick.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Salty,
You might want to send me your number and I can walk you thru your options.

Quick Reply: Air spring/suspension issue - opinions wanted