Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag suspension deflating quickly

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag suspension deflating quickly

Hey guys, I got the home the other day from work and noticed the next morning that the left side of my truck was "sitting". I turned it on, and after rising up about 2" I heard a loud hissing sound like air is rushing out.

The ground is full of snow here and it has been relatively cold so I haven't been able to check it out too much, but just wondering what I might be looking at. I replaced this bag and the ride sensors just last year.

I am trying to figure out if it is the bag itself, or any hoses or connectors. Just looking at some ideas to start while waiting for the snow to melt.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by sDot
Hey guys, I got the home the other day from work and noticed the next morning that the left side of my truck was "sitting". I turned it on, and after rising up about 2" I heard a loud hissing sound like air is rushing out.

The ground is full of snow here and it has been relatively cold so I haven't been able to check it out too much, but just wondering what I might be looking at. I replaced this bag and the ride sensors just last year.

I am trying to figure out if it is the bag itself, or any hoses or connectors. Just looking at some ideas to start while waiting for the snow to melt.
STOP AND READ THIS - OTHERWISE YOU MAY DAMAGE YOUR COMPRESSOR.

It's an easy job to do DIY. The air spring(s) have gone and the problem is if you continue to use the truck the compressor will cook and burn out from continuous running to make up the lost air and that's serious $$$$$$$$$. If I were you I'd fix the air springs asap and don't drive it until they are fixed. LR state the air springs should be changed every 5 years and offroading reduces that considerably due to grit and dirt around the piston rollover area. I doubt it is the the pipe or connector unless you have sustained mechanical damage. The test is to spray some water mixed with washing up liquid, about 4 to 1, around the air springs and connectors. That will highlight any leaks. Read this link it tells you how to do the air springs. WHATEVER YOU DO CHANGE BOTH AIR SPRINGS AND DON'T TAMPER WITH THE LEVELLING SENSORS.

Good luck.

PS, the compressor is located on the drivers side outside of the chassis rail below the B post and the cover has two Zeus fasteners, you will need to access it to relieve the spring air pressure. Don't take chances with the air springs you can get seriously hurt and wear gloves and eye protection.

www.discovery2.co.uk / Rear Suspension Air Bags

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...service-65724/

Old 03-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been driving it. Basically when it is running it will only get enough air to get up a few inches, and soon as it hits that point you just hear air rushig out. I figured it might be a line because if there was a huge hole in the airbag more than likely there would be no, or next to no inflation of the bag seeing how loud the air gushing out was.

I had a hole in my old bags and it was more of a slow leak, where this is just air pouring out.

Do you have any information about the lines and connectors that go to the airbag?

Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by sDot
I haven't been driving it. Basically when it is running it will only get enough air to get up a few inches, and soon as it hits that point you just hear air rushig out. I figured it might be a line because if there was a huge hole in the airbag more than likely there would be no, or next to no inflation of the bag seeing how loud the air gushing out was.

I had a hole in my old bags and it was more of a slow leak, where this is just air pouring out.

Do you have any information about the lines and connectors that go to the airbag?
Take a look in the online RAVE manual for D2's and there they have a diagrammatic of the SLS system and also the faults and repairs. It should be easy to locate where the air is escaping using a soapy water solution sprayed around the air springs and air lines to them. Also take the lid off the compressor box and check there for leaks.