Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all doors lock, none unlock

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all doors lock, none unlock

I've found a bunch of threads regarding the power door lock actuators, but most seem to talk about a single door not locking or unlocking. Our '03 Disco recently stopped unlocking any of the doors using the key or the central locking switch on the dash - locking works fine (on all 5 doors) from either the key or the switch. The service manual seems to imply that there's a separate fuse for locking and unlocking, but the owner's manual implies it's the same fuse. Having 5 door lock actuators go bad at once seems high unlikely - is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: all doors lock, none unlock

Check the fuse first. It could be that the unlock circuit on the circuit board that controls the unlock function could be cracked at a solder.
It is a common problem with older Disco's, but a '03? I doubt it.
You may have to bite the bullet and take it in. After you check the fuse of course.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible bad cdl switch. If I remember correctly, even locking/unlocking using the remote goes through the switch.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: tacomatech

Possible bad cdl switch. If I remember correctly, even locking/unlocking using the remote goes through the switch.
CDL has nothing to do with the locks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try using your key instead of the remote, will it unlock all 5 doors like the remote used to? You probably have a bad unlock button on your FOB

Old 10-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

CDL has nothing to do with the locks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try using your key instead of the remote, will it unlock all 5 doors like the remote used to? You probably have a bad unlock button on your fob
Thanks for the tips. Tried both keys and fob:
[ul][*] using either fob unlock button causes the emergency flashers to flash as they normally do when unlocking the truck (so both fobs seem fine), but NONE of the doors unlock[*] using the key unlocks the driver's door only
[/ul]

All of the doors unlocked fine from the inside by pulling the interior door handles twice - until I accidentally superlocked the doors (which, as I now know, disables the interior door handles). Now, none of the doors open except for the driver's door, and I can't unlock the doors by pulling up on the door lock buttons. My 3 and 5 year old find climbing over the the front seats to get in the truck exciting; my wife is less enamored of this new development (it's her daily driver).

Seems at least one of the door lock motors must be jammed, although I still don't understand why that would render the rest of the locks useless.

My next plan is to start pulling interior door panels and removing the lock motors one at a time to see which one is broken. Is there any way to test which is broken before I remove 5 interior door panels?

James

Old 10-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

You need new door lock actuators, when they bget weak they wont unlock, they have to work harder to push the door lock "up", gravity helps them lock.
You can go to Radio Shack and get a new 12v dc motor to fix the actuators.
Pull out the old motor, take it with you, find a match, put the old gear on the new motor, resolder the wires and you are good to go.
Its like $2 for a new motor.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might need to try this, Radio Shack? Ok, well, mine are pretty sluggish moving. Gotta hit the button several times before all the doors unlock. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Team Owner

I have not done this but there was a really good write up on it awhile ago. Had the part number and everything.
But just take your old motor in with you and match it up. IF it doesnt work what did you lose?A hour of your time and $5? If it does work you saved yourself $80 easy.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Could something in the alarm system be bypassing the unlock circuit? It was suggested in one of the oter posts that disconnecting / reconnecting the battery might reset the alarm system?? I don't have any experience here,but just a thought.

Good luck.

Bob

Old 10-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Three Wheeling

thanks, i love $2 repairs. Will give that a shot...

Quick Reply: all doors lock, none unlock