Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Allmakes Head gasket set?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allmakes Head gasket set?

I am looking to replace the head gaskets on my girlfriend's D2 (weeping at LH rear onto starter and bellhousing).

I was recommended reinz buy a shop here but have found a complete set with head bolts from LR parts for a better price. I'm steering away from even cheaper sets with weird names.

After asking the brand they told me they use Allmakes and have had no reported issues. Does anyone know if this is a good brand or if i should stick with Rovernorth or something big?

Old 12-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Allmakes resells lots of different manufacturers, victor reinz is one of them. If you get allmakes it COULD be victor reinz or it could be irling, or some other random chinese gasket set.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you want to play roulette with your head gaskets? Some parts one should not go cheap on. Or take a chance with the quality of the manufacturer.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Three Wheeling

How does Allmakes 4x4 exist as a brand if they just resell other stuff?

Old 12-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

well they are properly named....

Old 12-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jeffh
you want to play roulette with your head gaskets? Some parts one should not go cheap on. Or take a chance with the quality of the manufacturer.
No, that is why I am asking about the brand. I asked the brand and they told me Allmakes 4x4 and they haven't had problems. That is worth just as much as a mechanic telling me to buy a different brand or someone saying to buy it from Roversnorth or Atlantic british. where is ABs made? i have no idea, I would order it but they won't let me. I am forced to buy parts I don't need and waste money. I already have other things in the kit and a brand new TB heater plate.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
How does Allmakes 4x4 exist as a brand if they just resell other stuff?
they don't "just" sell other's parts, but it's not like they're a manufacturer themselves.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Three Wheeling

found out I can order AB kit separately but I had to "chat" to find out I need to call to order it for whatever reason....

Old 12-14-2013, 12:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I used a victor reinz kit off eBay . Head bolts and all gaskets. I had the heads machined after failing the first rebuild and learned they were warped by .004" . I'm about 10k miles in and no sign of failure tet.

I also used blue hylomar for the valley pan gasket and copper spray on the block side of the gaskets.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
I used a victor reinz kit off eBay . Head bolts and all gaskets. I had the heads machined after failing the first rebuild and learned they were warped by .004" . I'm about 10k miles in and no sign of failure tet.

I also used blue hylomar for the valley pan gasket and copper spray on the block side of the gaskets.
where was yours leaking? I was considering just changing the gaskets and not machining since my girlfriend needs it everyday and it is just leaking at the very back

Quick Reply: Allmakes Head gasket set?