Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost got in accident tonight .....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 04:50 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool Almost got in accident tonight .....

I live on a step mountain and I was making my way down the hill when I completely lost control and the whole truck spun around 360 and went off the road, almost smashed the tail end right into a tree! I was in second gear and was using the e-brake in combination with pulsing the brake pedal (whats left of the brakes) when it happened. Seems by the grace of God or luck I was spared injury or any damages to my truck. Just up the hill someone else also went off the road to - roads were really really bad, lots of snow and sluch/ice. Im thinking that since my brakes are shot that my abs/traction control were not able to function and as a result I lost control.

Anyone else had any near encounters? Not sure if you guys are getting hit down south but be careful and drive safely or not at all! Wait until the roads clear up

Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

all we are getting is rain. sounds like you need new brakes and tires! i never lost traction in my d2 with m/t's, the abs and t/c are great with lo-gear and cdl locked that truck is nearly unstoppable

Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
all we are getting is rain. sounds like you need new brakes and tires! i never lost traction in my d2 with m/t's, the abs and t/c are great with lo-gear and cdl locked that truck is nearly unstoppable
Yeah just waiting for the new master cylinder and front calipers to be shipped then ive have a firm braking system and a functional abs and tc. I tried moving my CDL the other day but it would not budge and I did not want to snap anything..... kinda thought the 04 D2 had a better linkage system that would not freeze up.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

keep it between the ditches

Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
keep it between the ditches
lol you guys still dry in your area? Feel free to take our snow!

Old 12-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

The only white stuff down here is fields of cotton being harvested. In Savannah, in 1989, we got 3 inches of real snow for the first white Christmas in 125 years. Typical "winter" weather here is below freezing four or five nights in the year, and a few flakes to excite the kids. In 2010 we had about two inches, but it melted just after lunch.

Of course, Atlanta gets more, usually the third week in January. Many a transplanted Yankee then informs eveyone that he "knows how" to drive on snow and sets out to make a manly dash for supplies, etc. With no road treatment the scene is soon littered with victims of the black ice and slush, and body shops reap a bonaza only equalled by the hot summer short shorts wreckless eyeballin' season.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe try to use your low gears until you get the brakes fixed. Glad your okay!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Maybe try to use your low gears until you get the brakes fixed. Glad your okay!

I have been lol, have no choice at the moment and since I sold my Saab this is my only transportation to and from work. So i use 3 and 2 gears alot combinned with the ebrake and careful driving. CANT WAIT TO HAVE BRAKES AGAIN!!!! and thanks for the wishes. Just hope the rest of you are doing alright this winter.

any advice for my stiff CDL? Should I try using more force to budge it loose or something else?

Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your e brake is likely why you lost control. While it is in the driveline, it will still be easier to lock the rear wheels before the front. I use it in the snow like you would a regular rear wheel only e brake to spin the *** out lol. Granted I don't do it drift style like I do in the Audi, but at the least I do t at the bottom of the driveway instead of turning around hehehe

Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Although different beast, I was able to get my D1 stubborn CDL to start moving by removing some of the console trim and pushing a thin spray nozzle tube down alongside the the CDL shifter into the "cavity" and dispensing a good quantity of PB Blaster.

Quick Reply: Almost got in accident tonight .....