Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternatives to Terrafirma steel wheels? Vibration problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 04:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alternatives to Terrafirma steel wheels? Vibration problems?

I’ve had my modular TF wheels for just about 2 years. And always had vibration issues. I literally watch my dash and passenger seat shaking. My old truck had the OEM steel wheels (NATO I think?) and was surprising smooth.

Are there any readily available steel wheel options other than the Terrafirmas?

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2021, 06:13 PM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsport
I’ve had my modular TF wheels for just about 2 years. And always had vibration issues. I literally watch my dash and passenger seat shaking. My old truck had the OEM steel wheels (NATO I think?) and was surprising smooth.

Are there any readily available steel wheel options other than the Terrafirmas?

Thanks!
Check they are balanced correctly and the tires are properly faced. Some off road tires have a side that faces out.
I have the Terrafirma steels with 265/75r16 and there is little vibration. Plus, mine are aggressive treads.

Old 08-06-2021, 06:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Xanthro
Check they are balanced correctly and the tires are properly faced. Some off road tires have a side that faces out.
I have the Terrafirma steels with 265/75r16 and there is little vibration. Plus, mine are aggressive treads.
thanks, this is all correct. I’ve had them balanced 2 times after the initial mount and balance. This is partially due to aggressive off-roading and tires chunking slightly. There is the second set of tires I’ve had in these wheels. The first had vibration issues too. 3 different shops have balanced them. They are MT’s so they are aggressive, but that shouldn’t matter too much.

One of the wheels was visibly wobbly out of the box (tire guy pointed this out) I use this as the spare.

Nice to know you have had OK luck. However, I didn’t think mine were too bad either until trying some other wheels.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:03 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There’s a brand called Tuff Torque 16x8-35
check out bluediscoverygirl on insta for pics

I‘ve seen some people running 17’s as well, might check with a tire shop.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:34 PM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you have a lift, otd if so how much? The size of your tires and lift may be throwing off alignment and you'd benefit from caster corrected Radius Arms to bring it back into the proper angle.

With aggressive tread there will be some vibration, but yours sounds significant.

Old 08-07-2021, 04:03 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I just spent several days trying to find steel wheels for a D2. It's pretty much impossible. The TerraFirmas are the only game in town anymore. There is the modified Honda Odyssey option, but it takes some machining.

Old 08-07-2021, 04:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by donniefitz2
I just spent several days trying to find steel wheels for a D2. It's pretty much impossible. The TerraFirmas are the only game in town anymore. There is the modified Honda Odyssey option, but it takes some machining.
I think you just answered the question I was about to post. I’m looking for 18” steel wheels. A Soft 8/Baja 8 style.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

This guy on instagram used a VW wheel. It is for a model not sold in the USA but there is a US equivalent. Like the Touareg or something. If I remember I could not find the wheels in steel. He had to machine the center bore too. He is in Panama and they do some pretty cool off roading down there. Very muddy.

The following users liked this post:
donniefitz2 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 07:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Couple things I’d like to mention since it looks like some are interested.

1) There is a steel wheel that works without machining (maybe odyssey or VW I forget). Here it is on the back of my old D2. (It used to have twice as many holes but I welded up every other hole to match my OEM rover steel wheels). This wheel only worked as a spare because the area around the lug nut would distort when it was torqued. Second photo shows the alloy 16, Odyssey 16, OEM rover 16 (order from left to right) with the terrafirmas boxed up in the background.

2) the soft 8 wheels (forget the brand) are no longer offered in a positive offset (I called the manufacturer and confirmed they are discontinued with no plans to remake) highest is +0 offset only which looks dumb on our trucks IMO. +25 seems perfect on our trucks (tiny bit of poke) and is as aggressive as I’d like to go.

3) FYI the Odyssey/ VW wheels can be ran without machining because the offset is so high (+50 ish, just run a wheel spacer) only problem is this puts us back at square 1 since it would need to be a non-hub centric spacer which may cause vibration. But I’d love to try this method and run 17s since I can source a 34” tire (16s are 33” or 35” nothing in between, and I’m running 4.12 gearing so it won’t be too bad)

4) I’m going to try centering rings on my wheels. It’s worth a shot. I found a couple size options. And will post specs if anyone’s interested.

Last edited by Dsport; 08-07-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsport
Couple things I’d like to mention since it looks like some are interested.

1) There is a steel wheel that works without machining (maybe odyssey or VW I forget). Here it is on the back of my old D2. (It used to have twice as many holes but I welded up every other hole to match my OEM rover steel wheels). This wheel only worked as a spare because the area around the lug nut would distort when it was torqued. Second photo shows the alloy 16, Odyssey 16, OEM rover 16 (order from left to right) with the terrafirmas boxed up in the background.

2) the soft 8 wheels (forget the brand) are no longer offered in a positive offset (I called the manufacturer and confirmed they are discontinued with no plans to remake) highest is +0 offset only which looks dumb on our trucks IMO. +25 seems perfect on our trucks (tiny bit of poke) and is as aggressive as I’d like to go.

3) FYI the Odyssey/ VW wheels can be ran without machining because the offset is so high (+50 ish, just run a wheel spacer) only problem is this puts us back at square 1 since it would need to be a non-hub centric spacer which may cause vibration. But I’d love to try this method and run 17s since I can source a 34” tire (16s are 33” or 35” nothing in between, and I’m running 4.12 gearing so it won’t be too bad)

4) I’m going to try centering rings on my wheels. It’s worth a shot. I found a couple size options. And will post specs if anyone’s interested.

Your Odyssey wheel looks different than the ones I used for my set up. The machining done is for the center bore and not for off-set 64.1 to 70.1. Not sure how you would machine a steel wheel for offset adjustment. The Honda Odyssey has nearly the same offset as a D2 at ET 50 vs ET 57. This moves the wheel outboard 7mm. This was important to me as I did not want the wheel to mess with the factory geometry or need wheel spacers, or look weird.

Quick Reply: Alternatives to Terrafirma steel wheels? Vibration problems?