Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   alternator rebuild kit (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/alternator-rebuild-kit-22060/)

barrylee66 05-19-2009 11:36 AM

alternator rebuild kit

I just bought a 01 discovery ll and have been giving it some tlc and noticed the alternator making noise. when I replaced the belt I spun the alternator and it is making the noise. my question is does anyone know where to get alt rebuild kit? I went napa and they said they did not have it. I looked on e bay and did not see it either

okdiscoguy 05-19-2009 11:46 AM

go to the general tech tab. There is a stick of good suppliers for Rover parts. I don't know off the top of my head. I have seen posts from people having problems after rebuilding. I would suggest replacing.

Spike555 05-19-2009 03:05 PM

www.autosportsunlimited.com will sell you a good used one for ~$70, or AutoZone will sell you a reman for $180.

Disco Mike 05-19-2009 05:25 PM

Stay away from AutoZone, I saw one persong that went thru 4 or 5 of their alternators in a little over a week.

Disco Mike 05-19-2009 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by barrylee66 (Post 117180)
I just bought a 01 discovery ll and have been giving it some tlc and noticed the alternator making noise. when I replaced the belt I spun the alternator and it is making the noise. my question is does anyone know where to get alt rebuild kit? I went napa and they said they did not have it. I looked on e bay and did not see it either

There are no "KITs" available, probably find a bearing, have you ever tackled an alternator before.

mordor110 05-20-2009 12:52 AM

Yes agree on the AutoZone rebuilt stuff. I had one in my Acura a few years back and it only lasted a year before the bearing had a melt down.

Maybe you can search for a shop in your area that specializes in rebuilding starters & Alt's etc. I took my Disco Alt to a local one that I've been using for years & they do a great job. Sometimes it's just the brushes and they'll sell me those for $8!

If you're experienced with taking the alt apart and have the pullers etc you can get the bearing out and there should be a number on the side of the race you can use that to find a new one. Try SKF or KYG?

barrylee66 05-21-2009 02:55 PM

I took it apart and napa has the small bearing but can not find the front large bearing even by crossing the numbers and measuring it. and the rebuilt one I see at autozone is 250 unless I am missing something. and yes I can rebuild an alternator and have the tools pullers press and big hammer.

Jawbox 05-21-2009 03:12 PM

No idea where you are from, but most decent sized towns have bearing shops that can take care of that. Take a look in the yellow pages and stop in.

jeffzx9r 05-22-2009 09:43 PM

Depending on what alternator you're running (i.e. fixing) you may be hurting yourself if you turn it in as a "core." It may be worth more than the re-man that works!