Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another electric fan conversion, for $70.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone have actual dimensions of the radiators for our trucks?

Old 06-29-2017, 06:48 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Mskembo
Does anyone have actual dimensions of the radiators for our trucks?
i found it online looking at ads for radiators for our truck, then looked at fan shrouds of V8's ads to get one that would cover it.

The '05 GTO Shroud covers the entire radiator, it takes trimming to get it on.

also, for anyone who does go to an electric fan I would recommend having it come on with the A/C. I cannot be 100%, but I think that not having my electric fan come with my A/C may have caused some A/C electrical issues.

Last edited by CollieRover; 06-29-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 939 Likes on 632 Posts

I wouldn't tie mine in to the AC. You want your primary fan to run independently of the AC. Unless you've got some wiring crossing over somewhere there's no way the fan has caused AC electrical issues. If I did it again I'd just leave it wired to turn on with the accessories switch and not even worry about a controller. Not worth the extra cost considering you don't actually gain anything from it.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:07 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Did you ever wire the electric fan to a thermostat?
I can wire it to come on with the engine, or add a switch.
But, is there a way to wire it to come on with the electric fan in front of the radiator?
I *assume* trying to run a second electric fan off the same circuit as the front electric fan would be too much, and blow the fuse?
Is there any way to tap into the front fan's thermostat?
Thanks

Old 07-27-2017, 02:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
But, is there a way to wire it to come on with the electric fan in front of the radiator?
I *assume* trying to run a second electric fan off the same circuit as the front electric fan would be too much, and blow the fuse?
Thanks
you don't want the main fan operating in parallel with the condenser fan. Get any kind of temp activated switch and use it to trigger a 300A golf cart solenoid.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 02:39 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
you don't want the main fan operating in parallel with the condenser fan. Get any kind of temp activated switch and use it to trigger a 300A golf cart solenoid.
And power that directly to the battery?
Or a switch on location in one of the fuse boxes?
It actually wouldn't matter would it?
Is there even an empty location in a fuse box to do so?
Sorry for such simple questions, but the wiring diagrams are something I've yet to have time to look at in detail.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:54 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks

The issue with that is that the fan in front is only an auxiliary fan that doesnt come on until 212*. You don't want to get that warm.

I ended up just getting A $30-35 adjustable controller. I wired it straight to the battery. There is no drain when the fan is off and it doesnt run for ling after the engine is shut off. Been that way for over a couple years now I think and hasn't caused me an issue once.

I did wire up a switch under the hood for water crossings but have yet to use it other than for testing.

Sixpack577 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

And power that directly to the battery?
Or a switch on location in one of the fuse boxes?
It actually wouldn't matter would it?
Is there even an empty location in a fuse box to do so?
Sorry for such simple questions, but the wiring diagrams are something I've yet to have time to look at in detail.
Yes the solenoid is a direct path from the battery to the fan. The controller needs to be wired to a keyed circuit, there's several available in the interior fuse box. You can use an "add-a-fuse" for that.

Sixpack577 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Camel Trophy

I didn't even run a solenoid. Just running through the relay that's in the controller I used and it does not need to be run through a keyed/switched circuit.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I didn't even run a solenoid. Just running through the relay that's in the controller I used and it does not need to be run through a keyed/switched circuit.
Those controllers are junk and will not last long under any kind of significant amp load, like 15+ amps. I'm surprised yours has survived a year. If you don't have an accurate way to read coolant temp this is a recipe for an overheat situation.

And running it on a constant hot wire is just asking for a dead battery. Travel a short distance in hot weather, with the AC, lights, radio, and electric fans running, only then to shut the vehicle off to let the fan run on and off (possibly for another 10 minutes) will quickly leave you sweaty and irritated. Tapping in to a keyed power source takes no extra effort.

Quick Reply: Another electric fan conversion, for $70.