Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another liner issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 10:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by suntreemcanic
I replaced the radiator, water pump and purchased a new thermostat from Atlantic British. The radiator and water pump were in original boxes and came with the vehicle when I bought it. I have a new Ultra-Gauge also. I am going to install a temp gauge.

The needle in the middle means nothing, unfortunately. The discos have three settings: cold, operating temp, and you're screwed. The middle needle position stays there from about 150 to 230ish and once it starts to move up, it is almost too late. get an ultra gauge and monitor the temps in real time and you'll have a more accurate sense of what's going on.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:25 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Temp gauge came up to the horizontal level and stayed there. Going to take it for a drive tomorrow. I will then have to start working on all those yellow lights on the instrument panel.
Be sure and realize that the "temp" gauge is not a temp gauge. It will not read hot unless you are melting down. Cheap insurance to get an ultragauge or other OBD2 solution to get real water temps.

Still good advice, that you already took

Last edited by thebilgerat; 09-13-2021 at 03:27 PM. Reason: didn't see the comment stating they'd already got one
Old 09-14-2021, 01:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the UltraGauge use the internal temp sender that the onboard vehicle computer uses?

Old 09-14-2021, 02:01 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes, the issue is the computer tells the needle to move in ranges base temperatures for each range. Many people believe the top temperature in the normal operating range is too hot and therefor when the needle goes to hot it is too late and you have done damage to the engine. The red warning light does not come on until it is 250 degree F.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the UltraGauge. So I understand that Discovery 2 owners just leave it hooked up all the time and that way they monitor the engine temp.

I have another question. My horn does not work. I have "hot wired" the horns and they do work. Can not find a wiring diagram. I have exchanged the horn relay with another known good relay and they still did not work. Can I get to the buttons in the steering wheel with out disturbing the driver's air bag?

Another question just for curiosity there is a little motor to the right of the outside mirror control lever. It blows air, what does it cool? Can not find it in the shop manual.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:22 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

The cabin temp sensor is in the little grill by the outside mirror control.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

I have the UltraGauge. So I understand that Discovery 2 owners just leave it hooked up all the time and that way they monitor the engine temp.

I have another question. My horn does not work. I have "hot wired" the horns and they do work. Can not find a wiring diagram. I have exchanged the horn relay with another known good relay and they still did not work. Can I get to the buttons in the steering wheel with out disturbing the driver's air bag?

Another question just for curiosity there is a little motor to the right of the outside mirror control lever. It blows air, what does it cool? Can not find it in the shop manual.
You have to remove the airbag. It’s not that difficult, you just have to unplug the battery for ~30 minutes before removal. There are videos on YouTube with step by step instructions. I’ve tried to do it both ways and pulling up the sides to get your hands in, for me it warped the plastic and it doesn’t snap back into shape and can look bad.