Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another M and S Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another M and S Problem

Hi all. First time posting, long time reading.

About six months ago we busted the front drive shaft on our '02 Disco II with 116K on it. Finally got around to installing a nice new greasable shaft and it went straight into limp mode. Went forward in 3rd (just in my driveway) and I promptly lost all forward gears. M, S, and D lights flashing and SES light on. Pulled the code and it was P0722 (output shaft speed sensor). So, I did a tranny fluid/filter change and replaced the sensor. It was a little mucky in there, but not as bad as I was expecting, and there were no metal shavings in the pan or on the magnet.

Now when I start it there are no lights on the dash, and reverse works fine (though a little clunky from N to R), but I still have no D and when I put it in any forward gear and rev up to 4000 rpm or so the M, S, and D lights come back on. And so does the P0722 code....which I have cleared to no avail.

When I shift out of Neutral into any forward gear, I can actually hear the rpm's come up a little as if there is even less of a load on the engine than there is in N. It's also having a tough time shifting between 4 HI and LO, but it will go with some caressing. Another interesting thing is the three amigos were on before this all happened, and now they're off.

It has a brand new battery with cleaned and tightened cables at both ends, and the alternator is pushing 14.4v at idle (same read at the battery.) Battery reads 12.65v with ignition off.

I have not tried adjusting, repairing, or replacing the xyz. I also have not done anything with the transfer case. I've read through about a thousand forums over the last several days looking for answers. I've come across many threads listing similar or identical problems, but nobody I can find has posted if they did or did not come up with a solution.

Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

The following users liked this post:
Redduc (09-07-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

IMO there is no link between the driveshaft issue and xyz switch. Equally there is no link between the ABS and the xyz switch. As you have a new battery it is unlikely to be low power but test out the alternator output in any event. IMO the source of your problem is the xyz switch which are repairable if done carefully. You will need to remove the switch, drill out the rivets and open the switch, checkout the selector tracks for continuity then grease the internals with Vaseline grease and replace the rivets with preferablt M5x12 ??? stainless steel screws and self locking nuts. Make sure you mark the EXACT position of the xyz switch before removing it unless you have an LR resetting tool. If it's done properly it'll last another 100K miles.

PS clean and spray the switch plug and socket with electrical contact spray and extend and move the 8mm A/C drain located above the switch.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
IMO there is no link between the driveshaft issue and xyz switch.
Thank you for the reply France. I agree, which is why I didn't mess with it. Can't understand why the xyz would go out after a busted drive shaft...unless it's purely coincidence...or there's a connection between the two I'm not making.
Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
As you have a new battery it is unlikely to be low power but test out the alternator output in any event.
Originally Posted by thegunslinger
It has a brand new battery with cleaned and tightened cables at both ends, and the alternator is pushing 14.4v at idle (same read at the battery.) Battery reads 12.65v with ignition off.
Forgot to mention I also checked the ground strap and it's fine. If it is the xyz, I'll be replacing it instead of repairing it. But before throwing another part ($) at it, just wanted some experienced opinions. Thank you again.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

Hello,
Did you resolve this issue? Having the same issue.

T.I.A.