Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any pro "broken bolt extractors" out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:35 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any pro "broken bolt extractors" out there?

When I was doing my front cover gasket I had to remove the front most crossmember. One of the bolts was rusted in there pretty good and I broke it off with the bolt flush with the frame. I would like to get it out even though it is probably OK with the other 7 bolts holding in on there. So I have never had much luck drilling out bolts (always end up drilling too much and killing the threads). I bought a set of the easy out bits for my drill and I have a torch. Anyone a pro at getting out broken bolts and have any pointers?

Old 11-21-2009, 02:41 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go to the auto parts store and get an extractor set..best advice I can give is go REALLY slow and don't get in a rush

Old 11-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hav bought thousands of dollars off the snap-on man. And they have a set of reverse drill bits and easy outs that have saved my a#% many of times. You use the easy outs with the drill works awsome. Some times needs a little heat to help out.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

and what ever you do DONT overload it!!!.........If the "easy out" snaps, as they EASILY do, they are ROCK hard, and you won't be able to drill it out, it would need grinding out, and that takes a LOT of time.

When using these easy outs, you have make sure you have or do drill centrally, because if the hole is off centre and you drill through to the edge of the hole, the easy out grips what ever the bolt is going into and that usually dont move, this can contribute easily to the easy out snapping as you try to twist out the broken bolt.

My advice would be to soak the bolt (if you can) in some penetrating oil first, give as long as is feasable soaking, when drilling it that will "heat" it up quite a bit as well, if its already drilled, then heat it with a blow torch just before you go to remove it.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:04 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I have one of those easy out sets so we will see. Like I said it is not that big of a deal if I do mess it up. I can always get it drilled it out and re-tapped for pretty cheap but I just want to give it a shot.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

If you can chase down a Snap-On dealer ask for Bluepoint kit # 1020 "screw extractor set".
it come with the drills, guides, and splined inserts that are a little more durable than the regular easy out, and allows you to put a real wrench on the problem. This will handle sizes from 1/4" to 1/2 " and their metric counterparts. and all pieces are available separately for replacement. This has saved my A@& countless times at home and at the shop.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easy way to remove broken bolts: MIG WELDER If the bolt broke flush,weld on the end of the bolt,small welds,build the broken bolt out to beyond flush. Place a nut over the "pile" of short welds,now weld the nut to the pile of welds. Quickly use a socket and breaker bar to wiggle the nut back and forth until it gives up! Most times no additional heat is needed. Works great removing broken bolts from aluminun heads etc.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

soak it in blaster before trying anything. get under every hour and soak it. I usually prep whatever I am doing this way before I remove any bolts.