Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Anyone tried the "Radiator Classic" on eBay for $127? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/anyone-tried-radiator-classic-ebay-%24127-59773/)

bcolins 06-14-2013 08:02 AM

Anyone tried the "Radiator Classic" on eBay for $127?

Wondering if anyone has bought one of the "Radiator Classic" Lifetime Warranty radiators that are on eBay for $127?

They have pretty good feedback and have sold something like 81,000 items.

Brian in Austin

Savannah Buzz 06-14-2013 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would say that a $127 new radiator will perform better than an OEM one full of Dexcool mud and sludge.

How long it will hold together is another issue. Maybe carry a spare.

Certainly spend some of the saved money on an Ultra Gauge for increased monitoring of temps, and throw in a 180F thermostat.

Disco Mike 06-14-2013 08:18 AM

I would stay clear of a radiator that is that cheap, based on it's price it can not be made to full factory specs and quality.
As for the warranty, most people will sell their vehicle and that questionable warranty really doesn't mean much.
Think about it, would you rather put in a cheap quality radiator that may take out your engine or a good one you don't have to worry about?

drowssap 06-14-2013 08:38 AM

if you search quite a few people have installed those radiator off of ebay, I have not heard any issues yet. Maybe I missed them.

Madlands 06-14-2013 09:44 AM

I use the genesis radiator. It doesn't meet everyone's standards as in it's an affordable one under $150. I'm a big fan of it. It's cheap and is working just fine.

Disco Mike 06-14-2013 10:52 AM

And that is perfectly fine. I am coming from 30 years of shop and automotive management experience that says beware. It is your vehicle and God only knows you can decide whatever way you want, for me, I installed a new radiator, made in Scotland from the original factory supplier that cost me $280 and I have no worries about my coolant system.
Do at least install a new 180 degree t/stat and coolant pressure cap when replacing your radiator.

Madlands 06-14-2013 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 403889)
And that is perfectly fine. I am coming from 30 years of shop and automotive management experience that says beware. It is your vehicle and God only knows you can decide whatever way you want, for me, I installed a new radiator, made in Scotland from the original factory supplier that cost me $280 and I have no worries about my coolant system.
Do at least install a new 180 degree t/stat and coolant pressure cap when replacing your radiator.

I understand your side of it mike. An extra $100+ on a part may cause some to think well I guess I'll just wait and save up the cash or maybe it's not that bad, while they still drive around with a stopped up radiator. I just like to share that there are more affordable options if someone is willing to go with what could be lesser or could be equal quality to a $300 radiator for half the cost. I would personally rather risk my chances with a cheaper radiator than I would a clogged one any day.

pinkytoe69 06-14-2013 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Madlands (Post 404003)
could be lesser or could be equal quality to a $300 radiator for half the cost.

It is not equal.

I have a Silla, which i think is the same as the Genesis. It works fine so far...194-203 with the motorad 180. However if you compared it to the original, you wouldve seen it is noticeably thinner front to back than stock.

Madlands 06-14-2013 10:41 PM

I didn't see much of a difference, but I'll admit I was just happy to have one that didn't have chunks of dexcool and calcium buildup coming out of it so I didn't inspect too much. Mine hasn't had any problems since I installed and works like a charm for me and that's all I can really say about it.

I'm staying at the 180-185 range, but I'm also running an inline 180 thermostat now. When I was running a motorad 180 I was between 190-195ish. I also replaced the heater core and almost everyother thing that has to do with the cooling system so I'm sure that helps alot with my numbers. Owning two d2's I've also learned each one had its own quirks regardless of what you do to them. I may just have lucked out in the cooling department on my 04, because I sure didn't luck out oil pump wise.

earlyrover 06-15-2013 04:09 PM

Anybody aware of an upgrade larger capacity radiator?

Has anyone explored the idea of obtaining and using an upgraded ALL ALUMINUM, (NO PLASTIC TANK), LARGER CAPACITY CROSS FLOW DESIGN, RADIATOR, TO FIT INTO AVAILABLE SPACE? I BELIEVE IT WOULD BE ADVANTAGEOUS TO OBTAIN AND USE SUCH A RADIATOR IN THIS ALL ALUMINUM HEAT SENSITIVE ENGINE, SAME AS I HAVE DONE IN THE PAST WITH CLASSIC JAGUARS THAT HAD ORIGINAL RADIATORS TOO SMALL FOR PURPOSE. LONG TERM RESULTS WERE OUTSTANDING, AND I THINK THEY WOULD BE SAME WITH THIS ROVER ENGINE.