Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco for me! Deal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Disco for me! Deal or not?

Just purchased my new 2004 Disco II In replacement for my 2003 which was totaled by a drunk driver about a month ago. It does feel nice to be done with the search as I saw every 2004 Land Rover in the southern half of Michigan! So much driving

I got it for $11,500 and it only has 55K on it. The previous owner was fair bit of a *** and even brought it to the service center to remove a dead bug from the dome lamp!

Work done on it in the last year:
Rear wheel bearings
New brakes and turned rotors with system flush
4 new tires
Upstream O2 sensor
Resealed and replaced intake gaskets and rear valley seal
Front and rear prop shafts (with one regreasing)
Refilled A/C
plugs and wires

I got a 3-day test drive and put on about 1,000 miles. No leaks found and the PPI came up clean. Springs rather than self leveling system. I even took it out into 18 inches of snow and mud to try the CDL and it is as smooth as can be.

There are a couple of dings on the body and one in the hood, but I can work on those in the future.

Pics are below. Happy to back in the realm of the Landys!

Now for the moment of truth, how do you guys think I did on the purchase?

Attached Thumbnails New Disco for me! Deal or not?-disco1.jpg   New Disco for me! Deal or not?-disco3.jpg   New Disco for me! Deal or not?-disco4.jpg   New Disco for me! Deal or not?-disco5.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default as long as your happy..

as long as your happy....I would say pricy but the milage is super low for that truck. I don't think well be seeing you on here anytime soon crying.......Congratulations. Spike is up near you and he could be a great help....

Old 03-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Drifting

I just saw that Spike is in the general area, maybe beer and discussions are in order.
The price was a bit much, but I was dealing with $10K for '04s with 80+K on them. While I love reading the forum, I do hope I won't be posting soon ...

Old 03-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Overlanding

Congrats!
I don't think that price is that high for a '04 DII with only 55k miles. Bonus: recently serviced at dealership for a valley pan gasket replacement/repair and all other recent services on it.
Enjoy it!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's been babied for the few miles that are on it, and it keeps you out of the shop for a long time to come then I'd say you got a great deal!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Invest in an Ultra Gauge to monitor things that need watching, remove all traces of Dexcool.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Drifting
Default Ultragauge

Already ordered! Bought it while loading the pictures. It should be here by Friday.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Best of luck

I think you got a square deal, based upon my research and various posts. Hell, a spurious issue with a particular truck or model year could swing cost $1K-2K (or more)...

Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Congrats on your new rover, I have the exact same 04 ( but had a bad power steering pump, few leaks (not HG) and 126k miles). Most 04 are price lower because they have many more miles on them. I don't think that the price for the mileage is high. It is worth the piece of mind. With any reasonable mainenance, nothing bad should have happened in 55k miles. If you have been reading through the forum, than you know how to keep it up to speed.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

I really like the color. My wife and I almost bought an '04 to get that color, but the deals on '03s were too good to pass up.

You might want to check your coolant level -- it looks a tad low in the picture.

Congrats on a nice ride!

RedAustinIX (Ed)

Quick Reply: New Disco for me! Deal or not?