Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attitude brings lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Attitude brings lights

Hello all. I am having an odd problem that maybe someone else has diagnosed and fixed.

When I turn left or right, stop or accelerate, or do just about anything that causes my 2000 Disco II to tip slightly in any direction, my traction control, brake, and Hill descent dash lights come on accompanied by dinging. They stay on, with no apparent impact on driveability (antilocks still work, transmission still shifts normally... I haven't tried Hill descent) until I shut the truck down and restart. It happens every day. Thinking back, I think it generally, but not always, happens when my foot is on the brakes.

I had a slightly drippy washer in the transmission filler so I thought it might be low on fluid, but I have filled it (I'm not even sure it was low, but I lost fluid while filling it) and replaced the washer. Brake fluid is slightly over full (1/8 inch). Sometimes the dash lights come on just sitting in my driveway (which is at a slight grade). There are always leaves at the bottom of the driveway so when it is wet I check the antilocks.

At this point it is just sort of an annoyance and embarrassment but I'm sure worse things are to come. Does anyone have ideas that could point me in the direction of the real problem and/or a fix?

Code reader shows nothing amiss other than my rear oxygen sensors (longstanding ignored issue) .

Best,

Charlie V

Old 12-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

sound like you have an ABS problem, you are going to need something that will read the ABS codes

Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Refer to the thread of the 3 Amigos. Abs, tc, hd will light up followed by 3 dings. Could be a different things that are wrong. You need a abs code reader to pull the codes and refer back to the forum for a fix. I know there are ppl who have had that problem and fixed it here. Good luck!!!

Old 12-19-2014, 07:46 AM
Camel Trophy

Oh damn. That's the three amigo? I had no idea.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by drowssap
sound like you have an ABS problem, you are going to need something that will read the ABS codes
I'll Google this, but I do have a code reader. Honestly I leave it plugged in all the time (my service engine light stays on because of rear O2s, so I check or reset it often). My code reeder doesn't show anything other than the rear O2s. Sorry for my ignorance but is there another type of reader for ABS?

Old 12-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Camel Trophy

Well scratch all of that. I watched a video and did some reading and it is probable that my code reader is too general and that I have an ABS problem. Now I do recall seeing the ABS light some time ago. I just shut the Rover off and it went away. Probably a fault or gap. I'll figure it out.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Best,

Charlie V

Old 12-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

when you get your hands on an abs code reader. you usually have to pull the code when the lights are illuminated. it clears when issue is not present, so it will not always have a stored code, just the general 1590 generic. (that is what your regular reader should pull)

yes abs specific unit, is needed. i have an abs amigo. it works just fine you plug it in, it reads then clears. you then plug the little guy into your laptop and it tells you what is going on...like left front sensor output low and so on.
i just ordered a nanocom so if you want to buy my amigo unit, let me know.

Last edited by dusty1; 12-19-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:44 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by dusty1
when you get your hands on an abs code reader. you usually have to pull the code when the lights are illuminated. it clears when issue is not present, so it will not always have a stored code, just the general 1590 generic. (that is what your regular reader should pull)

yes abs specific unit, is needed. i have an abs amigo. it works just fine you plug it in, it reads then clears. you then plug the little guy into your laptop and it tells you what is going on...like left front sensor output low and so on.
i just ordered a nanocom so if you want to buy my amigo unit, let me know.
Dusty I'm sorry I wasn't ignoring your post. I usually access from my phone and it is hard to find my discussions. I figured out the issue.. massive vacuum leak has finally reached the point where it is signaling a brake fault. I think that's what it is anyway. I'm trying to find the leak now. If memory serves you are in the Dallas area so if I can't fix it this way I'll give you a buzz. Or a PM. Or something...

Old 04-18-2015, 05:40 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Brake fluid level OK? If it's low then you will get a brake fluid level warning at an angle and, if I remember correctly, that will throw out the TC, AB and HDC.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:15 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I experienced a similar issue a few months back. Turned out the wire to one of my wheel speed sensors had chaffed insulation and it was grounding on the chassis when I'd hit a bump.

Quick Reply: Attitude brings lights