Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awful case of frame rust— what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 11:52 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awful case of frame rust— what are my options?

2004 Discovery II

I am a relatively new LR owner and got the car from my grandfather. We thought it was in great condition… except we have realized the frame is horrifically rusted, to the point where it will not pass inspection.

We have done a little research into frame replacements online since we want to keep the car in the family. With the rust in both the front and rear, would only a full chassis replacement cut it? Also, would the part and installation be cost prohibitive? The mechanic has said a new Disco 2 would be cheaper but in this economy a price search had them at 16-20k. We are located in Virginia.

Rear

Right side of front

Left side of front

also I get some of these pictures aren’t the best, but I think it’s safe to say the whole frame is shot

Old 11-26-2021, 05:52 AM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

There are numerous threads on this topic within this forum. Folks that that have done a frame swap. Time & pictures included.
There are again that many threads on rust discussions - pictures & experiences. Even below are listed “related links” - continue reading to get more of a sense of what your up against/for.

You will do better then 16-20k for a new Disco.
You will also notice your rust is not as extreme as some Others.

I have personally addressed similar to your situation. My suggestion to you would be (after you browse some related threads) find at least a few local mechanics who will or recommend some frame repair fabrication. An experienced, motivated welder will be able to ascertain how far back your rust goes before it’s viable again.

you can take the confidence & cost estimate and compare to that of your full frame repair, or replacement. My guess is for a fraction of the cost you can get some more life out of it. (Provided the truck condition above frame warrants that cost) I would be stopping by an independently owned custom muffler shop. A reputable jeep or offroad mechanic. A certified welding/ fabrication shop. A commercial frame repair/straightening shop. Get a cpl opinions or recommendations to talk to someone else.
I wouldn’t be intimidated by your situation just yet..

Old 11-26-2021, 06:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,502 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Yours is pretty bad, if there is a hole in the frame in front of the rear axle it will be a very expensive repair job and likely not worth it, with or without repair. I have a friend with a Cherry truck in IN with hole in the frame next to both Cat's, he has looked in to repairs and replacements and has been quoted in excess of 5 figures with few shops willing to take on the job. Frame swap is around 50 hrs of work with a lift. There are members that have done it but usually it is more economically viable to buy a complete truck from a southern state needing an engine or other work and move the entire interior and powertrain over.

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (11-26-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 06:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

Hi , I have just been out and looked at my D2, the rust is I believe behind the rear axel, and there for is an easy repair, you will need post a photo showing the rust hole but for better location back off a bit, but to me it opposite your fuel tank , is that correct?

see my post 'Busy Few Days' dated 05-17-2020, it took me about 5 days to do it on my own, at 71 years old, but it took 2 days to get the fuel tank empty and off

Old 11-28-2021, 07:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I've done some patch work on these frames and I feel pretty confident you're looking at a frame replacement.

I see you say you're located in VA. What part? I am in the southwestern part of the state near Bristol. I've actually got a pretty stripped down parts Disco, but the frame is in pretty good shape if memory serves.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:04 AM
Rock Crawling

Hi again , I think your looking at a REAR 1/4 FRAME REPLACEMENT, a lot easier to do

this is a 1/4 frame
https://dixonfabrication.co.uk/index...product_id=164

next size up

https://dixonfabrication.co.uk/index...product_id=145

I used the first one as all the rust was after the rear axel in the fuel tank area

Last edited by frostythor; 11-28-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by frostythor
Hi again , I think your looking at a REAR 1/4 FRAME REPLACEMENT, a lot easier to do

this is a 1/4 frame
https://dixonfabrication.co.uk/index...product_id=164

next size up

https://dixonfabrication.co.uk/index...product_id=145

I used the first one as all the rust was after the rear axel in the fuel tank area
for me I would most likely do the second one if I am going through all the trouble especially where I live
but not there yet

Old 11-29-2021, 03:10 AM
Rock Crawling

Hi, if you use the shorter first one the only item you need to remove is the fuel tank, and you have access to the top of the repair frame for welding, I have read in a forum that the job can be done in a day by a couple of decent welders/body men, the second one needs all the rear axel removing plus all the ancillaries, suspension etc, and you may have access problems when you go to weld the top, but again I have read it is possible with out cutting a hole in the floor to get access but it is a lot more involved

I used the first one, and needed to do a small repair on the original frame before welding on the repair section, its a all in my post