Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back with no resolution to my drive issue... Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Back with no resolution to my drive issue... Please help

I replaced the motor in my 02 disco a few months back. When driving I would take my foot off the gas and the rpms would drop very low, sometimes causing it to stall. I tightened up the throttle body to keep it from stalling but now when I take my foot off the gas at a coast the truck will feel like it downshifts and will slow down as if the brakes were being slightly pushed. (very noticeable, kinda pushes you forward). During this time if I were to get on the gas again there will be a clank sound in the tranny area (pretty loud). I replaced the tranny fluid and filter, topped off the fluid correctly but it didnt help. I was told that there may not be fluid in the torque converter after replacing the motor but was also told that the torque converter would fill itself during driving and if the converter was at fault there would be codes but I do not get any codes. The only issues I have that I already had are the three amigos. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated since I am desperate to figure this out.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Get out the manual, and check your fluid level. Needs to be done when warm engine.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

Done. But it didnt help.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

Bump for any help...

Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked that the parking brake is adjusted properly? Does the truck struggle to accelerate or do you notice the drag just when coasting?

The clunk could be from something other than the transmission. Have you looked at the driveshafts to see if there is play?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have someone else replace the engine or did you do it yourself? The reason I ask is that I have seen instances where the torque converter bolts weren't fully tightened and they made a similar noise to what you describe. What I think happens is that the tech starts each of the bolts and leaves it slightly loose, rotates the engine to the next bolt hole and does the same thing on each successive hole, the reasoning is that if you tighten the first one you may not be able to start the next one (there is a bit of "slop" in the holes). This is what I do as well, but sometimes when all the bolts are in, the required tightening of all the bolts doesn't occur. (for whatever reason, lunch, phone rang, pretty girl walked by the window) but it does happen. Just a thought.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

Hey Alan, yeah, its something else. It happens often but not all the time and the lag will hit maybe 2 seconds after I have lifted my foot from the gas. It kicks in and kinda throws you forward.

Thats a good point Bkreutz, I did the swap and remember doing the tc bolts. I actually dropped the oil pan when I did it because The pan needed a gasket so it made it easier.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be a long shot, but is your driveline binding somewhere? i.e. a u-joint.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds totally in the transmission, like the torque converter isn't unlocking causing engine Rpms to drop low because it tries to stop engine when wheels stop, also because you say it feels Luke breaks are being pushed and it's downshifting feeling, because tc can't slip,

Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

So, does that mean the TQ is not filling with fluid?

Quick Reply: Back with no resolution to my drive issue... Please help