Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Baja, Safety Devices, or Voyager Rack? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/baja-safety-devices-voyager-rack-73714/)

LRlax11 05-15-2015 11:23 AM

Baja, Safety Devices, or Voyager Rack?

hopefully going to be in the market for a roof rack soon and I'm just putting some feelers out for what I should get. Id like to find a used one in good condition as to not pay full price. why are yalls opinions on each rack and which is the best. I'll mostly be using it to move boxes and stuff as I'll be moving in the fall. thanks for the help

cappedup 05-15-2015 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I recently got myself a 2nd hand Hannibal. Which I'm really liking.

I'm not sure how the others fit, but this has a full length rail that slots into the rain gutter, so the load weight is distributed along the full length of the car, not just the points where the legs come down, like the SD.

The little upstand bit comes off, to reveal a completely flat bed, for boxes, if that helped y out.

I havnt loaded it up with much yet, but it's easy to tell it would hold a large load.

It has slots in the top for really cheap eyelets, which screw in. So you have a load of adjustable strapping points.

The front sun roof opens, the rear does not. I've disconnected the switch to avoid accidents!

That's about all I've got. Good luck. He is a pic.

Attachment 35729

WNYErikDiscoII 05-15-2015 02:01 PM

We use BAJA on all our Lucky 8 trucks. We have had good success with them and they are great to work with. Im 300lbs and I can walk around comfortably up there knowing it will hold.

FWIW, if you can find a decent shape SD rack, most people are asking close to retail of a brand new BAJA rack. Sometimes you can find a CL deal. I recently spoke to a guy who found an SD on CL for $200. Deals are out there

LRlax11 05-15-2015 07:23 PM

thanks Eric! I absolutely love the look of the Baja Rack, looks like an original SD. The way it contours to the roofline? absolutely love it. the only thing holding me back is the price.. I've been looking high and low on CL, the forums or eBay for a deal but can't seem to find a single one that's a reasonable price.. I know it's a waiting game but it's still very aggrivating.

Jonathan Dunn 02-27-2020 12:26 PM

Do not buy a rack from voyager!!!!

DO NOT BUY A RACK FROM VOYAGER!!!!
The racks are not very good but they're customer service is THE ABSOLUTE WORST!!!
It takes months to ship, often times they arrive damaged, missing hardware and you will NEVER get anything resolved with these people! They simply do not care!
Find any roof rack OTHER THAN Voyager!

Crusader_22 02-27-2020 12:48 PM

Well, I just got a Voyager, it shipped in a week, and I do like it so far. Very sturdy by my estimation.

I did get the incorrect hardware pack, though...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...ae714b8078.jpg

Bignacio 02-27-2020 08:29 PM

I bought a Voyager Expedition rack a few years ago. still holding up and looks great

Best4x4 02-28-2020 06:23 AM

Zero issues with my Voyager rack. Very well made & their rear ladder is very nice vs the flimsy OEM unit.

DakotaTravler 02-28-2020 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jonathan Dunn (Post 720871)
DO NOT BUY A RACK FROM VOYAGER!!!!
The racks are not very good but they're customer service is THE ABSOLUTE WORST!!!
It takes months to ship, often times they arrive damaged, missing hardware and you will NEVER get anything resolved with these people! They simply do not care!
Find any roof rack OTHER THAN Voyager!

Yes, lets trust the opinion of someone with a couple posts who posts in a thread several years old. Maybe you can add some details?

04disco2va 02-29-2020 12:17 PM

I’ve been happy with my Voyager Rack. Still looks good after several years.