Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batt+oil+check engine ligh

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

So is there a down side to removing the valve cover baffle?

In the name of science I elect Charlie to remove his, he has tried everything else...

Old 11-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
So is there a down side to removing the valve cover baffle?

In the name of science I elect Charlie to remove his, he has tried everything else...
I humbly accept the nomination. But it may be awhile because I am shunning my rover right now.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 11-14-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Shunning your Rover is one thing but it's good you're not shunning us.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:16 AM
Baja

Dont let your Rover know it's on purpose!

Old 11-14-2016, 06:36 PM
Camel Trophy

Any time I even THINK it is a fine machine, running well, proudly carrying me... it ****s the bed. As long as I treat it with disdain, it runs like a Swiss watch.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was checking codes using harbor freight code reader and it stated " no pending or stored codes", not sure if a more sophisticated code reader could do a better job. I did recently, about a month ago, perform transmission service, diff service, and replaced ignition wires and plugs as per disco mike's specifications. Truck had been running great after that.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:11 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Any time I even THINK it is a fine machine, running well, proudly carrying me... it ****s the bed. As long as I treat it with disdain, it runs like a Swiss watch.
you two need counseling, sounds like a textbook abusive relationship. Your rover has daddy issues.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:44 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Des1480
I was checking codes using harbor freight code reader and it stated " no pending or stored codes", not sure if a more sophisticated code reader could do a better job. I did recently, about a month ago, perform transmission service, diff service, and replaced ignition wires and plugs as per disco mike's specifications. Truck had been running great after that.
​​​
Any old code reader should show you the codes. And you didn't mention clearing them. And it still won't start? And there are no codes?! Amazing.

You mentioned replacing the wires. The Deputy's post #4 is right on the money for the big issues but I'm always looking for electronic gremlins. If you replaced the spark plug wires and had the coils out are you sure the coil packs', idle air control valve's and purge valve's connectors are in tight? Were you able to keep the metal retainers on them and get them pressed / snapped back together?

Have you pressed the inertial switch? (Black thing on passenger firewall... press down in round part). The inertial switch would cut the fuel. But it wouldn't make it run tough. That's an on or off deal. Similar issue could occur if the fuel pump relay or fuel pump failed.

And the final electronic gremlin I can think of... crank sensor. I'm drawing a blank on how to know whether that's the problem, but it won't start with a failing or failed one and the engine could run badly if the sensor was failing. People have had trouble with oil in the sensor and the connector. Maybe someone else can pitch in on that.

Without codes, I'm a little lost. So if checks of the items above don't bear fruit then The Deputy's list is complete for what makes an honest engine run. Or, check his list first... there is a guy on the forums who couldn't get his to start because his timing chain broke, which I thought was basically impossible. So anything is possible.

The following users liked this post:
Des1480 (11-15-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 11:45 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by abran
you two need counseling, sounds like a textbook abusive relationship. Your rover has daddy issues.
Hahahaha! It is definitely abusive. I just have the upper hand at the moment... only because I can afford to buy new company and my rover can't do squat about it.

​​​​​​

Old 11-16-2016, 03:41 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided to try and start her up in between jobs and BAM she fired right up. No lights no nothing. Don't have time to test drive before work just encase I get stuck, but dam these cars! Luv to hate them! Thanks for the help everyone.

Quick Reply: Batt+oil+check engine ligh