Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Best Code Reader to Buy for 2000 Disco 2 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/best-code-reader-buy-2000-disco-2-a-91284/)

droddisco 09-15-2018 06:18 PM

Best Code Reader to Buy for 2000 Disco 2

Can anyone give a suggestion on which code reader is best to use on 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2? User friendly and economical in price? Thanks!!

ArmyRover 09-15-2018 07:01 PM

It really depends on what capability you are looking for. Basic code pulling a bluetooth dongle and the torque app will handle it. Ultra-gauge can do it as well. After that you get into things like the hawkeye that can do everything

JUKE179r 09-15-2018 10:29 PM

From $30 to $100 you can get a basic OBDII scanner that reads and clears trouble codes.
For $150 you can get the Foxwell NT520 which is pretty good but won’t do everything for our Discos. I have a Foxwell and I couldn’t get it to reprogram my key fob.
For $200+ you can get those all in one scanners for a multitude of car makes and models. They’ll read and clear codes, do ABS systems, power bleed brake systems but won’t reprogram LR Keys or other Land Rover specific functions.
Or go all out for $400+ get you a Nanocom (I got one) or Hawkeye or Lynx that’s been tried, tested and confirmed to work specifically for our Land Rovers.

ReconDoc83 09-15-2018 10:43 PM

Everyone says Hawkeye and NanoCom will do everything for LR; the ILAND dongle and app is supposed to do amazing things; and it will code a fob; but at $300 for a single vehicle ID, I think that is BS.

my buddy has a Snap-On diagnostic programmer (don’t know the model); I know it cost $4K; it read ALL of the codes on my Disco2 and it is supposed to program FOBs; we will find out tomorrow because he is bringing it over to try and program my new fob.

i will post info about our success and the model number tomorrow.

Doc

ArmyRover 09-15-2018 10:53 PM

iland from a review on here has been hit or miss on it's capability. There was supposed to be a full review that was promised but never materialized.

droddisco 09-16-2018 01:52 AM

Thanks you all so much. I'll start researching the brands and models you all suggested.

longtallsally 09-16-2018 11:18 AM

I have:
- WiFi dongle and OBD fusion (I’m on an Apple phone, so no torque for me)
- Ultragauge that lives in the vehicle now
- the cheaper iCarsoft reader
- nanocom

The nanocom rules by far and allows for the programming of keys, and pretty much everything else. The iCarsoft works well as it pulls the specific codes related to the 3 amigos and the like. The others are just for daily temp monitoring.

The nanocom is also by far the most expensive, but it’s already paid for it in setting the height of the airbags for me when I did the lift.

mln01 09-16-2018 02:36 PM

I'd like to know the differences in capabilities between the Hawkeye and the Nanocom. Both seem great; are there things that one does and the other does not? Thanks.

ReconDoc83 09-16-2018 10:18 PM

Well here is what I have to report:

the Snap-On tools: Solus Edge diagnostic tool and programmers DO NOT natively hold the ability to program key fobs for Land Rover.

the tool does convey all codes and details of codes.

Doc

tcr6v1 09-16-2018 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by mln01 (Post 662201)
I'd like to know the differences in capabilities between the Hawkeye and the Nanocom. Both seem great; are there things that one does and the other does not? Thanks.

you can problem used key fobs with the nanocom. Not sure if the hawkeye can program without the long code (nanocom can work with 5 digit codes printed on the actually fob)