Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Gear Oil and ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Gear Oil and ATF?

I was just wondering what you guys think is the best gear oil for the diffs and transfer case, and what is the best ATF. I am going to be doing the 120000 mile service and I would like some suggestions. Thanks a bunch.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Best Gear Oil and ATF?

i use red line lightweight shockproof gear oil in the t-case. in the diffs, i use traditional valvoline 75w-90 because i change it frequently due to water contamination. you cant go wrong with red line, royal purple, amsoil, or mobil 1 oils.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

For your tranny, it is too old to flush, so you can't switch to a synthetic so I would suggest going to Vavoline's Max Life for high mileage trannys.
How about your brakes and steering, what are you going to use?

Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Mudding

Well I already did a power steering flush using synthetic and a bottle of lucas additive. I also did the ATF engine flush and switched to mobil 1 synthetic high mileage. I am not sure what to use in the brakes ............ any suggestions? Also, concerning the brakes, do all the fluids mix? I know I need dot 4 but can I switch to a synthetic and not have any problems.

Mike I have read some of your posts on here saying that you use Lucas 85w 140 gear oil. However, I thought that you are supposed only use synthetics in the differentials and transfer case. I thought that the lucas stuff is not sythetic. Am I wrong?

Also, regarding the tranny, I see on the 60000 mile list that it says a bottle of Lucas transmission additive. I was just wondering when this should be added as I have seen on here that the tranmission drain and fill can be a little tricky.

Thanks alot for the help!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Rock Crawling

get castrol lma brake fluid

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/2521.cfm

Old 03-17-2008, 06:37 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: llesra

get castrol lma brake fluid

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/2521.cfm
I use this brake fluidalso.

I use Mobil One High Mileage syn oil.

Gear Box's Mobil One Syn 75w-140 or 75w-90.

The Trans I started to use Mobil One ATF a long time ago.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Mudding

NO-you can not mix brake fluids-they will not mix together and will act like oil and water and can cause some serious brake issues under hard braking.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator

I have been running Vavoline's synthetic brake fluid for years and highly recommend it. The reason I switched to it was because I am also running DBA rotors with Kevlar pads, which generates a lot more heat that the synthetic seems to handle better with out giving you any soft pedal.
As for the 85/140, I mentioned Lucas because they make a pretty good product and it is less expensive then a full synthetic. If you are doing lots of water crossings and change your fluids more frequently, Lucas is a good way to go, otherwise use the full synthetic.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Mudding

Thanks everyone. Yea I only do wheeling every now and again, and I would like to get the longest between intervals, so I guess I will stick with the synthetic in the diffs and transfer case. Do they make a 85/140 synthetic or should I just go with the 80/90 like the manual says. I know this is kind of a weak spot in these trucks so I would like to get the most protection.

Regarding the brakes, I'm not sure what kind of fluid I have in there now, and I run slotted and dimpled ebc rotors with ebc greenstuff heavyduty pad. So I guess I would like to switch to synthetic. If the two kinds dont mix with one another is it ok to do just a regular two person manual type brake bleed with the new stuff or is there some type of different procedure.

Thanks again

Old 03-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

They mix fine, and if you do a good brake bleed,which will take at least a quart of fluid, you will have nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Best Gear Oil and ATF?