Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Which is the best year for a Disco 2? If you had a choice. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/best-year-disco-2-if-you-had-choice-87719/)

oaty 01-11-2018 01:38 PM

Which is the best year for a Disco 2? If you had a choice.

When I bought my Disco 2, I was told I would be given a non running donor D2. I may have a few trucks (D2's) to choose from. I know CDL and Non-CDL trucks, Engine differences, SAI and Non SAI...etc. I just want parts and trim that match mine, but what are other things should I look for.

Guess I am happy about a donor truck, but want to get the best choice.

Have only owned my 2000 D2 for 5 months. So I am new to this new sickness, um... "joy".

Cheers and thanks to all the LR lovers...even the haters too.

Hasta

Oaty

Best4x4 01-11-2018 04:12 PM

99-02 is my personal favorite.

The Deputy 01-11-2018 04:46 PM

Not sure what the question is...but if you have choices for an extra parts vehicle...l'd pick one that maybe had a set of rims I liked. That way you could have agressive and road set. Are you going to keep this extra rig around as a rolling chassis or dismantle?

Brian.

Sixpack577 01-11-2018 04:57 PM

If yours doesn't have a cdl, I'de get a truck that did, if possible. Then swap it over.
Otherwise, whatever the cleanest one with the most useable parts.

Best4x4 01-11-2018 05:12 PM

Yep parts wise go with the one in the best shape.

oaty 01-11-2018 05:47 PM

Donor vehicle

the vehicle I will be given is a non running or non drivable d2. Not sure if I get to pick it or not. Was told there are several d2’s. Guess I will have to wing it when on site. My current d2 does have cdl but no linkage.

OffroadFrance 01-11-2018 06:04 PM

My answer to the OP's question has to be the one with the best viable history, one owner with the lowest mileage at the best price be that is a 2000 or 2004. It depends what the OP wants to use it for. Personally I would go for a 2003 or 2004 with good history, low mileage and one owner but the question is very subjective.

number9 01-11-2018 07:14 PM

I just want parts and trim that match mine

Guess I will have to wing it when on site.
For parts truck compatibility more of parts and trim (especially exterior) from '03/'04 will not fit the earlier years and vice versa. If a free parts truck you can't be too choosy unless you wait for a year more desirable to you.

Some will preach the '03/'04 4.6 engines are not as reliable and others will say that's BS. My '04 has been fine for the short two+ years of my ownership and feel comfortable after doing recommended cooling system maintenance, replacement of aging parts and adding a device to monitor temps. The later 4.6 engines do put out more power and a newer engine/vehicle may have it's advantages.

Never know you might find the parts truck better overall, get it going and use you current one as a backup or parts truck. Good luck.

Faulk 01-11-2018 07:55 PM

I purchased a 2004 with 150k miles on it. Drove it for 20k and the engine grenaded. We believe it was a slipped sleeve (major ticking prior to implosion) Purchased a second 2004 this past Feb, drove it for 5k miles and now have loads of coolant in the oil (lab confirmed). Thankfully, my second disco 2 is much better platform to insert a refurb'ed motor into. I'm taking that dive in a month or two. So, I'm 0 for 2 with 04s.

Sixpack577 01-11-2018 07:59 PM

20k miles with a "major tick".
I'de have to say that's really good.
You knew it had a big problem, and still got that many miles. And 170k on the engine.
No disrespect, but I would call that a win, not a loss.
And I do get where you're coming from.
I have a great running 04 with 122k miles, and a major tick. I'm tearing it down for a rebuild now.
Not the greatest engine in the world by far.